Ideas & suggestions for videos
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

here's his UTube channel... good stuff!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/FieldRes/videos
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

noddybrian wrote:I'm sure I've seen one - watched so many on Utube I can't remember for sure who uploaded it -but it's worth looking through the video's of that guy with the collection of like every model SA200 from the 1940's on.
I think the guys name is FieldRes. And yes he has an awesome collection of sa 200's. From what i can remember he does have some downhand 5p videos on small bore pipe. He vacated his channel but still has quite a bit up and a lot of them are worth watching.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.
camdigger
    Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:44 am

Well, I saw some 1/2" wall 48" being welded downhand the other day. Pipe is 1/2" wall internally and externally coated carbon steel. The largest I've ever seen done downhand. I think they are using the local equivalent of 6010 downhand. There is no way to spin the pipe as they are assembling and welding in the trench. This is part of a hundred mile or so long fresh water line. Weld bead appearance on the last pass is rippled and what I would expect from 6010 on a heavy wall.

BTW, I found some 6010 downhand here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHWqMC6ykEk He is rolling the pipe to keep the weld in the 1:30 to 3 o'clock position though. He is not welding in position as the pipeliners do.

I looked at Field res's stuff. I've probably seen as many welds done from that far away as the young fella has done in his life. :roll:
maintmech1245
    Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:59 pm

xAZAZELx13 has lots of downhand, in position videos on YouTube , but none have the up close arc shots that Jody has. Still, its worth checking out. They're all on the pipeline.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

That guy is cool. He has answered lot of my questions.
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

Downhand welding is mainly found under the API1104 code and is used for mainline pipeline. The reason the use downhand is for production as it is much faster than running LoHi. 5P 1/8 is usually run between 70 and 90 amps depending on wall thickness and travel speed. Some may run hotter and some may run colder. It is not very often that you see 6010 run all the way out on a joint but it does happen. 70+ 80+ are the norm for fill and cap after the bead is done with 6010. As far as personal preference, lincolns fleetweld 5P is crap and i call it fire wire. The 5P+ is a much better rod to run for a root pass.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.
Frosty
    Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:38 pm

Arizona SA200 wrote:Downhand welding is mainly found under the API1104 code and is used for mainline pipeline. The reason the use downhand is for production as it is much faster than running LoHi. 5P 1/8 is usually run between 70 and 90 amps depending on wall thickness and travel speed. Some may run hotter and some may run colder. It is not very often that you see 6010 run all the way out on a joint but it does happen. 70+ 80+ are the norm for fill and cap after the bead is done with 6010. As far as personal preference, lincolns fleetweld 5P is crap and i call it fire wire. The 5P+ is a much better rod to run for a root pass.
The 5P has its place, its not as smooth as the 5P+, but it freezes faster for plugging leaks on the pipeline.

We run 5P+ all the way out on our grade b pipe (x42/x52). Anything higher in strength is 6010 root and a 7010, 8010, or Hippy rod out.

If anyone wants more info on downhill pipe, just pm me. I willing to help out as much as possible, downhill is a totally different animal than uphill. Gap, bevel, land, rod size, and heat run completely different.
The plan is to out live everyone and take their tools!