Ideas & suggestions for videos
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

I know the distortion videos is going to be a series but are you going to cover how to straighten distorted metal, rather than just mitigating it? I've heard alot of things from heating it up to cherry red and letting it cool slowly to welding gussets and pulling it...all kinds of stuff.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I think that would be interesting! I would like to learn more about that.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

How thick of material are you referring to. It's to bad I'm not still on the rail I could have made a vid about straightening some big material.
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Wes917 wrote:How thick of material are you referring to. It's to bad I'm not still on the rail I could have made a vid about straightening some big material.
I was doing some 3/16" plate, nothing too serious. But the same problems would apply to thicker stuff, just the thicker stuff you probably wouldn't be able to pound it back flat with a hammer.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

We would typically do 1" up to 2 1/2". We had a 50, and 200 ton press and would work on some pretty large plates straightening after wrecks. Smaller a definately easier to maneuver around that's for sure. Some heat, a couple hammers, some vices, clamps etc and your good to go. With proper setup and jigs if starting from scratch shouldn't really need to do any of that.
AKmud
    Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 am

There are a few videos on YouTube about "flame straightening". I managed to get myself out of a bind on a couple of jobs after watching the vids. Pretty much sucks to see a 20' stick of 2x2x1/4 start resembling a banana. A little heat and a spray bottle of water brought it back without much effort.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Years ago, when I worked a fab shop building commercial ironwork, I learned to "camber" beams with a rosebud and a spray-bottle of water. It was impressive how much curve you could put in a 14-110 I-beam across 40 feet with heat, water, and patience.

Steve S