Ideas & suggestions for videos
    Fri May 09, 2014 9:54 am

I have thought of a cheater lens, but my eyes have more problems than that, including astigmatism. I have bifocals that I wear, but have been trying to use monvision contacts. Near vision in one eye, distance in the other. Depth perception becomes difficult. If I use a cheater, I still have to wear contacts and the eye with the reading contact goes completely blurry. I had lasik many years ago, but it was a failure. I am trying to learn to feel the metal, Once in a while I find the right angle and I can see, I have a good run. They have some special contacts out now, but there are very expensive and need to be replaced every 5-6 months. If I could earn money welding, I would buy them.
Braehill wrote:@mbmalone
You've mentioned your poor eyesight a number of times. Are you using a cheater lens in your helmet? They make them up to at least 3 power and it really helps my old tired eyes.

Len
Airco Heliwelder, model 3A/DDR-224HPA/B-D
LWS Kobalt Helmet / Blue Flame HF
6010 Powdered Vise Grips
Bad A$$ Orange Grinder
Chicken Hammer for Pecking Divots
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

mbmalone wrote:I have thought of a cheater lens, but my eyes have more problems than that, including astigmatism. I have bifocals that I wear, but have been trying to use monvision contacts. Near vision in one eye, distance in the other. Depth perception becomes difficult. If I use a cheater, I still have to wear contacts and the eye with the reading contact goes completely blurry. I had lasik many years ago, but it was a failure. I am trying to learn to feel the metal, Once in a while I find the right angle and I can see, I have a good run. They have some special contacts out now, but there are very expensive and need to be replaced every 5-6 months. If I could earn money welding, I would buy them.
Why not just have your optometrist make you some work glasses corrected to 18" just like computer glasses?
Problem solved :)

I also have astigmatism and only use bifocals for small stuff. For welding I use cheaters in the lid and no magnification in my glasses.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Fri May 09, 2014 9:54 am

When I lift my head from the weld I get sick from the blurr and motion. If I looked over the top of the glasses, I would risk getting chips and slag in my eyes and would not be able to see anything unless I was wearing distance only contacts in both eyes at the same time. There is no easy solution that I have found. Considering not wearing contacts and special order occupational bifocals with bifocals both above and below. Then thin area in the middle would be for normal distance and they would only be able to be worn while working. This is what my doctor has suggested. That is, if I can't get these monovision contacts to work.

Otherwise, a ton of money for custom made SynergEyes Multifocal Hybrid Contacts for people over 40 which must be replaced every 5-6 months. The bifocal goes all the way around the pupil, unlike regular contacts. Probably 1,200-$1,400 to get yourself in your first pair.
MinnesotaDave wrote:
Why not just have your optometrist make you some work glasses corrected to 18" just like computer glasses?
Problem solved :)
Airco Heliwelder, model 3A/DDR-224HPA/B-D
LWS Kobalt Helmet / Blue Flame HF
6010 Powdered Vise Grips
Bad A$$ Orange Grinder
Chicken Hammer for Pecking Divots