Ideas & suggestions for videos
fredygump
    Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:01 pm

weldingt wrote:You will always work for those who are willing to hire you.

You can increase that number by growing your skills, knowledge and experience. Not every welding job is gonna be the dream job. Some people always want more. The more may be money, challenges, responsibility, or who knows what.

There are tremendous opportunities in the welding field. Continue to gain knowledge and experience where you can. Don't settle on a process if you want to continue growth in the field.

If you are just looking for a check, and satisfied where you are, then one process may be the way.

Here is a page I wrote about becoming a welder. Not sure if I already posted it here or not. http://wp.me/p5Gzet-1y

I just read your article. It's good--it's the kind of thing I was looking for.

About skills and additional learning...I know my class is very basic--it's only 1 semester! With that in mind, the "what jobs to look for/seek out" question is really what type of industry/trades will help take me from being a complete novice to a "well rounded" welder?

It sounds like the Navy taught you a lot...my teacher is a journeyman pipe fitter/welder, and of course that is a 5 year apprenticeship. I could go that route (apprenticeship, not navy...I'm getting old for joining the navy)...but no guarantee that I'll get in right away. The other obvious choice right now is working 60 hrs/week running a MIG gun...the factory is always hiring! But it doesn't seem to me that the factory job will teach much in the way of additional skills--word is they lock out the welding machine so you can't adjust anything.

Anyway, just trying to make use of the time I have to come up with the semblance of a plan. It would be foolish to get to the end of the welding program without having any ideas of what I should do for a career...If I waited, I'd end up taking whatever job is offered out of necessity. I don't know how much choice I will have as it is, but I think it's better to have an idea of what to look for?
    Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:11 pm

Mig welding as with many other processes can sometimes have a wide variety of employment option. The industry sector and the products will often dictate how much skill you need or will gain while employed.

Someone running 1" welds on yard art will require ans gain less skill than someone building components for earth moving machinery.

Process knowledge and welding related skills will increase the opportunities and depending upon what you leave tbe training program with, you may have to start on the low end. But don't forget, its a competitive market. You have to bring something to potential employers that others don't have. Do NOT depend upon a "certificate" from completing a course. Let your skill, work ethic, and supporting skills set you apart.

I have often thought about the fact that I never got a degree. When I think back on all of my experiences as a welder, I cannot think of one I would give up. From my HS welding gig building trailers to nuclear power plants on submarines. Its all good experience.

If a 1 semester course could assure you a job at 2-3 times the minimum wage, people would be beating down the door. Build the skills, learn all you can, never stop learning.
Gerald Austin
If I didn't say it in the post- Have a great day !
Greeneville Tn
fredygump
    Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:01 pm

In way of an update, I got a job. My welding program has a co-op program, and the instructor arranges for us to work for a couple weeks with one of various local companies. For me, he called up his buddy at a shop he used to work at, telling all kinds of lies about how good I am... My instructor is a pipefitter/pipe welder, and this shop is half pipe and half sheet metal. But he recommended me for the sheetmetal specialties side.

So yeah, now I'm working in sheet metal specialties, and they want me to stay on full time when the co-op is done. They've already signed me up as a helper with the union, and they'll get me in as an apprentice this fall.

Only thing is, I'm not doing welding at the moment. But I'll make sure I work my way into tig welding, since they do plenty of that. I"ll probably get myself a decent tig set-up when I can afford it and have a place to use it...to speed up the process a little.

So I guess it''s a combination of dumb luck and a teacher with the right connections? I like the place, and it's probably the best work environment for me that I've ever come across.
    Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:11 pm

Congratulations Fredy!
Gerald Austin
If I didn't say it in the post- Have a great day !
Greeneville Tn