Ideas & suggestions for videos
fredygump
    Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:01 pm

This is sort of a repeat of what I said on the "Member Introductions" thread, hopefully that's okay?

I'm trying to find information to help make an informed decision about choosing a job and career that uses welding, since I'm in a welding program.

I'm asking because I'm finding that it's hard to find candid info about different welding trades, what it's like and what to expect various trades to be like. Like what personality type is a pipeline welder, verses personality suited to regular pipefitters...or what sort of person does structural welding? I know there are many different applications for welding, and certainly there are some generalizations that can be made to help someone like me decide what to focus on?

I look around and find all the wrong info. Lots of talk about the facts, like how much it pays, what school to go to, and stuff about how there us such demand for welders. It annoys me that earning potential is the only thing people use as a reason to be a certain kind of welder. I know there is more to a job than money, and I'm hunting for clues about what to expect in terms of job culture, working conditions, stability, requirements for traveling, etc with different types of welding careers. I'm tired of just working for whomever is willing to hire me, doing whatever they need done--that's why I went back to school! So now I'm trying to make an informed decision about what to do with the skill I'm learning. Any help would be appreciated, and I'm sure there are others like me who are starting out in welding but don't really know what to expect or what their options are.

Without anything else to go on, I'll probably default to an apprenticeship with the pipefitters union?
    Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:11 pm

Congratulations on your decision to get into welding.

I have worked in a few different industries. I have done OK in those. At no time did my personality have to change. I show up, with skills, work ethic, and desire to be a profit to the people who pay me. Sometimes I have done a good job, sometimes I have failed miserably.

However the environments change where certain things may be harder for some than others. There are wide differences in environments and working conditions not only among industries but among companies within the same industry.

Manufacturing- No Travel, Lower Pay, Often Less Skill Required, consistent hours, sometimes stable, often indoors, wide range of work conditions based upon company culture, possibility to move up with long term employment.

Construction (New Construction)- Relocation Required, Longer Term Job than Outages, Ability to move up to other responsibilities, good pay for welders, usually more than 40 hours per week if power/chem/petro related, build relationship with company, laid off when its over, file taxes multiple states, maintain multiple homes, kids may not be able to travel, hot/cold/high/low/wet/damp/sun/nights/mud etc....

Construction (Maint/Repair/Outages)-Much Travel, Shorter term so may be limited to hotels, most hours, some perdeim, freinds/relatives preference, faster paced work than new construction, welders laid off when not needed, supply own tools, job schedule changes after starting/arriving, get to work with a wide variety of people, hoter/colder/higher/lower/wetert/damper/sunnier/nights/mud etc...., highest pay

Fabrication-Piping/Pressure Vessels, Structural- Not much travel, skills higher than MFG, sometimes a "Field crew" is used, Same items as used in construction but built in a shop, better protected from elements, multiple processes for welding, not as physical as construction, may be more exposed to drawings/specifications/procedures than construction, more overall skills (layout/cut/fit/assemble) required than Mfg.

Cross Country Pipeline- I have no idea and would be willing to go as a helper with someone someday.

Military-Navy-Maritime- Ships are cramped, Smoke, Hot, Dark, good welding, difficult positions, quality, may facets of welding (structural, piping,machinery, sheetmetal etc). Low pay if active duty. Best military in the World. Best Navy in the World, Best People to Work with.

I am sure there is more to write. As with many things welding, experiences vary widely. Even just changing supervisors in an organization can cause a need to evaluate the situation some.

I have worked in a few industries and varied positions/conditions. I do not talk to registered engineers the same way I do a helper. But both should be treated with respect. Understand that you are not "locked in" to any one welding related career choice. I have been blessed with being able to vary my experiences while still being able to take care of my families core needs. Sometimes I made better money, sometimes I had less stress, sometimes I was home more blah blah.....

I am sure many other experiences will be listed. I may write up a bit more about this later. I think there are some very common misconceptions and wives tales about welding that may have been true in some cases. But regardless, its a good skill to have for those inclined to do this kind of work (make/fix/design) stuff.

Just get out there and do whatever you like! I have worked as a welder, supervisor, inspector,manager,instructor, boilermaker, pipefitter,maint tech, and other positions. I have been able to do ok, not because of training as much but because it was all involved with welding, so I put up with the stuff I didn't like until I just didn't notice it anymore. Then all of a sudden, I was getting paid to have fun !
Gerald Austin
If I didn't say it in the post- Have a great day !
Greeneville Tn
fredygump

Thanks Gerald. What you say is reassuring. I've always needed to take pretty much whatever job that comes up, and then I end up feeling stuck there. It hasn't been a question of what I want to do most of the time. Not having a trade means I'm always at the mercy of the boss, and applying for a new job makes me feel I'm begging them to believe that I am a good worker. I probably work too hard compared to most people, but it never seems to count for anything.

I suppose feeling stuck in a job is really my fault as much as anything? If I was more careful financially, then I'd be less dependent on my employer. Atleast it sounds good in theory. Of course, earning a little more money would also help.

Growing up everybody was preaching the merits of 4 year college degrees (which usually take 5-6 years and are hugely expensive), like that was the only thing to do if you wanted to be a "respectable" person. It's ridiculous for sure, but I suppose that is the reason why there is so much talk about a shortage of welders now? I quickly realized that being an engineer in a cubicle wasn't the life for me, but somehow it's taken me 13 years to figure out that the trades still exist and that maybe they are a good choice. I wish I had figured it out 10 years ago.

Everyone will always have to do things based on taking care of core "needs". If I have to do something besides welding to support my family, so be it. But I work towards being able to not only take care of my needs with money but also grow towards being able to do what I enjoy.

One thing I have found hard to understand is that some people really don't care about their job. Its just a a job. They don't like it or dislike it. And that is OK. But for those that like to have a job they enjoy, I suggest always trying to work at what you like. I would rather weld in a muddy ditch for $20.00 an hour than provide customer support for a welding related software company for almost 2x that. (I have done them both).
\If you enjoy welding, then learning how to weld is a good idea. Even if it doesn't lead into "big money" right away, its a skill that provides you with options. But it is also a competitive type job. The better you are, the more likely you are to advance. Don't think that the ability to weld is all that is needed. That "ability" can cover a wide range of skills, abilities, and training. There is no quick/cheap/fast/easy way.

Don't discount the knowledge of an engineer. Especially if coupled with some welding experience. There are some incredible opportunities I have had to pass up because of the lack of a degree. But when I think back on it, I cannot come up with 4 years of welding experiences that would have been good to miss out on !

Anyway, good luck with it all. Hopefully someone else will post something. The "World according to Gerald" is very small in the overall scheme of things (welding and otherwise).
fredygump wrote:Thanks Gerald. What you say is reassuring. I've always needed to take pretty much whatever job that comes up, and then I end up feeling stuck there. It hasn't been a question of what I want to do most of the time. Not having a trade means I'm always at the mercy of the boss, and applying for a new job makes me feel I'm begging them to believe that I am a good worker. I probably work too hard compared to most people, but it never seems to count for anything.

I suppose feeling stuck in a job is really my fault as much as anything? If I was more careful financially, then I'd be less dependent on my employer. Atleast it sounds good in theory. Of course, earning a little more money would also help.

Growing up everybody was preaching the merits of 4 year college degrees (which usually take 5-6 years and are hugely expensive), like that was the only thing to do if you wanted to be a "respectable" person. It's ridiculous for sure, but I suppose that is the reason why there is so much talk about a shortage of welders now? I quickly realized that being an engineer in a cubicle wasn't the life for me, but somehow it's taken me 13 years to figure out that the trades still exist and that maybe they are a good choice. I wish I had figured it out 10 years ago.
Gerald Austin
Greeneville Tn
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Wow, freddygump, I think you should buy welding GT a beer for that effort. One of the best though out answers I've seen in almost 4 years here.
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Gerald did a great job in reply! I don't know what I can add to that, other than my personal experience. During the 1990's, I did travel a lot. I am an ironworker, and my local is in Chicago. I didn't have to travel, I just wanted to in order to work on various projects and in different environments. Like Gerald said, sometimes I did good and other times no so good. But it just seemed to me that no matter where I ended up, the guys were the same. They all did bird-dog me for the first day or so, but after that we got along just fine.

Be an agreeable person. Don't get involved in arguments or fights. Don't act like a "know it all" or in any way superior to the other guys. Let your work speak for you; that is all you need.

I met some great guys and made some great friends. Got a lot of work done! I have always been an outdoor kind of guy. While I find working in a shop where they do custom fabrication interesting, I will always end up going back into the field.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing!
Gary

Thanks for the comments.

Everyone has so many varied experiences,how they learned to weld, jobs, people they have met, companies they like and don't like etc... I would imagine that one thing many of us have in common is enjoying what we do.

Booomer, I have probably turned a few people off by my enthusiasm about welding. I like to talk about it and probably sometimes come off as a "know it all". I work at a community college trying to sell training programs to business and industry and my recent evaluation indicated my sales skills were lacking. She said I "Show up and throw". Gotta work on that one.

Other than being away from my wife, I love the construction environment. I had been recently blessed with a job working in the maintenance department of a paper mill, 14 minutes from my front door. That was a dream job. Outside work, something different every day, great people, and incredible pay. Left it to try full time teaching which has been a definite change in pace.

Have a good day.
Gerald
Gerald Austin
Greeneville Tn
angus
  • angus

I'm tired of just working for whomever is willing to hire me, doing whatever they need done-

what makes you think your working life as a welder will be any different? since you already have a directional
bias then go that way.
fredygump

Update: I've decided TIG is the best kind of welding. :) I've been having fun with it the last couple of days. My program is mostly intended to make us competent MIG welders, but here I am, I'm working ahead of the class like usual, looking for fun things to do.

angus wrote: I'm tired of just working for whomever is willing to hire me, doing whatever they need done-

what makes you think your working life as a welder will be any different? since you already have a directional
bias then go that way.

If you saw my job history you'd understand! Take this progression of jobs as an example:

Several years ago I was Installing DirecTV, and then I took a job installing spray foam insulation. Then I was partially unemployed for a couple months, and I did a little piano moving and exercise equipment repair to help get by. Then I took a job as an inventory auditor, checking inventory of cars and tractors for various banks. That was a good gig. But my work load dropped drastically last summer, and I went back looking for jobs...I ended up as a laborer building wind turbine bases. When they laid me off, I went to school for welding...

So you see, no rhyme or reason. My saving grace is that I can always be a competent employee in this variety of jobs. But I'm always starting from scratch every time I start a new job. I guess I'm just getting tired of switching all the time. I didn't care when I was younger, but now I want to settle into something a little more focused and consistent.

You will always work for those who are willing to hire you.

You can increase that number by growing your skills, knowledge and experience. Not every welding job is gonna be the dream job. Some people always want more. The more may be money, challenges, responsibility, or who knows what.

There are tremendous opportunities in the welding field. Continue to gain knowledge and experience where you can. Don't settle on a process if you want to continue growth in the field.

If you are just looking for a check, and satisfied where you are, then one process may be the way.

Here is a page I wrote about becoming a welder. Not sure if I already posted it here or not. http://wp.me/p5Gzet-1y
Gerald Austin
Greeneville Tn
fredygump

weldingt wrote:You will always work for those who are willing to hire you.

You can increase that number by growing your skills, knowledge and experience. Not every welding job is gonna be the dream job. Some people always want more. The more may be money, challenges, responsibility, or who knows what.

There are tremendous opportunities in the welding field. Continue to gain knowledge and experience where you can. Don't settle on a process if you want to continue growth in the field.

If you are just looking for a check, and satisfied where you are, then one process may be the way.

Here is a page I wrote about becoming a welder. Not sure if I already posted it here or not. http://wp.me/p5Gzet-1y

I just read your article. It's good--it's the kind of thing I was looking for.

About skills and additional learning...I know my class is very basic--it's only 1 semester! With that in mind, the "what jobs to look for/seek out" question is really what type of industry/trades will help take me from being a complete novice to a "well rounded" welder?

It sounds like the Navy taught you a lot...my teacher is a journeyman pipe fitter/welder, and of course that is a 5 year apprenticeship. I could go that route (apprenticeship, not navy...I'm getting old for joining the navy)...but no guarantee that I'll get in right away. The other obvious choice right now is working 60 hrs/week running a MIG gun...the factory is always hiring! But it doesn't seem to me that the factory job will teach much in the way of additional skills--word is they lock out the welding machine so you can't adjust anything.

Anyway, just trying to make use of the time I have to come up with the semblance of a plan. It would be foolish to get to the end of the welding program without having any ideas of what I should do for a career...If I waited, I'd end up taking whatever job is offered out of necessity. I don't know how much choice I will have as it is, but I think it's better to have an idea of what to look for?

Mig welding as with many other processes can sometimes have a wide variety of employment option. The industry sector and the products will often dictate how much skill you need or will gain while employed.

Someone running 1" welds on yard art will require ans gain less skill than someone building components for earth moving machinery.

Process knowledge and welding related skills will increase the opportunities and depending upon what you leave tbe training program with, you may have to start on the low end. But don't forget, its a competitive market. You have to bring something to potential employers that others don't have. Do NOT depend upon a "certificate" from completing a course. Let your skill, work ethic, and supporting skills set you apart.

I have often thought about the fact that I never got a degree. When I think back on all of my experiences as a welder, I cannot think of one I would give up. From my HS welding gig building trailers to nuclear power plants on submarines. Its all good experience.

If a 1 semester course could assure you a job at 2-3 times the minimum wage, people would be beating down the door. Build the skills, learn all you can, never stop learning.
Gerald Austin
Greeneville Tn
fredygump

In way of an update, I got a job. My welding program has a co-op program, and the instructor arranges for us to work for a couple weeks with one of various local companies. For me, he called up his buddy at a shop he used to work at, telling all kinds of lies about how good I am... My instructor is a pipefitter/pipe welder, and this shop is half pipe and half sheet metal. But he recommended me for the sheetmetal specialties side.

So yeah, now I'm working in sheet metal specialties, and they want me to stay on full time when the co-op is done. They've already signed me up as a helper with the union, and they'll get me in as an apprentice this fall.

Only thing is, I'm not doing welding at the moment. But I'll make sure I work my way into tig welding, since they do plenty of that. I"ll probably get myself a decent tig set-up when I can afford it and have a place to use it...to speed up the process a little.

So I guess it''s a combination of dumb luck and a teacher with the right connections? I like the place, and it's probably the best work environment for me that I've ever come across.

Congratulations Fredy!
Gerald Austin
Greeneville Tn