Ideas & suggestions for videos
shoptech57
    Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:58 pm

Hello,
Have seen some youtube videos about TIG welding aluminum soda cans together. Can you show me how you do it? Then I will know how to" correctly" do it. Thanks. shoptech57.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Best thing is to just do it. My first attempt was with my 1963 Airco - shove the cans together, light up, start putting filler in.

Do you have experience with welding thin aluminum? At least down to 1/16" with no problems?
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

I dont know if you read this following thread but other members and me posted things that helped us welding soda cans plus pictures of them in following thread. Sure we could help you. get success welding these together. I play with practicing on cans still once in awile great way and cheap way of mess around with thin aluminium at least in my opinion.

http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... t=pop+cans
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I still haven't done one I call pretty. Brush clean, acetone, then I use a blunt 1/16, gas lens, 13cfh argon, set at 40 amps using the pedal. 1/16 4943. I puddle each side dabbing a bit of filler, then bridge. After the bridge is accomplished, focus the arc on the bead as far forward as possible. You can't go to the very edge, it'll blow out. From there it's about timing. Dip when the puddle is adequate to do so. Keep in mind the argon cloud is small, if you keep your filler in it all the time, it'll ball, and be very difficult. For me the cove created butting the can bases together is a place for arc to wander. Use frequency over 150, balance 75% EN, and a blunt tungsten extended enough to keep the cup out of the way.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Here was my first try with my 1963 Airco - 900 lbs of welding goodness :)
Low range (48 amps) full pedal.
1/16" thoriated, #5 cup, 16cfh, 3/32" 4043 filler rod.
(Normally I would have used a 1/16" filler - but I used 3/32" for more "chill")

No adjustments of any kind in this machine - just amps and a foot control. :D
image.jpg
image.jpg (39.78 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.