Ideas & suggestions for videos
Afilatov
    Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:09 pm

Jody,

Been watching your videos for the last month! Beginner here. Most of the people subscribed I can imagine are at differs points in the welding world.

Can I ask that you do a few videos on welding really difficult things together. Example: grade 8 bolt to thin wall 4130 as well as other videos of really difficult materials to weld together. Thin wall to thick pieces. blowing out through material is a bitch and cant really be easy when one metal doesn't melt like the second one. Most of the basics will come with practice, it's the challenging welds that are most hard to learn.

Appreciate the time you take to get these videos out there.... While I'm just learning and want to weld my own airframe together, without people like you, I'd never have the balls to tackle a project like this.. At 50 !!! You're a man's man, and most appreciated.
BFTrout
    Thu May 15, 2014 10:13 am

I would also second this idea of welding different thickness materials together. The majority of the videos I have viewed are typically running the same material coupons. It is extremely rare that I get to weld the same thickness materials, more commonly it's welding 14 gauge to 5/8". Some tips on the preferred process/settings and method/techniques would be extremely helpful as well.
Thanks in advance,
BFT
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Im not a professional welder but one advice I can give is to start learning on same material/thickness. When you "master" that its almost only about to learn focusing the heat on the thicker part.
Not true always but it will get you a good bit forward on the learning path.

Did a fun practise piece some weeks ago. 0,4 mm T joint to 3mm steel. The 3 mm sheet was clamped to a 15 mm copper piece to complicate it more. Ok, I used CuSi3 for filler but still good practice. :mrgreen:
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I weld pieces of 2mm to 8.75mm. Its not a weld to hang around too long.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I weld 1/8" to 3/8" or 1/2" all the time with 3/32" 7018 around 90amps.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024