Ideas & suggestions for videos
DeepSouthWelder
    Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:35 am

Hey Jody I was wondering if you could do some some simple projects and repair welding out in the field with basic equipment such as a "Buzz Box " and a generator. Just something replicating a situation where you don't have all the fancy equipment and jigs that you would have in the shop.
Instagram : natecreel1050_
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

The buzz box welders like yours are not very efficient with power.

As a result, the generator needs to be 10,000+ watts to run them well - even at lower power.

Many Inverter stick/tig welders run very well off generators. My ESAB 161 and my former Maxstar 150 both work with my 5000/6250 generator.

Here is what Lincoln says about generators and transformer stick welders:
It appears that a 5000 or 6000 watt 230 VAC generator is large enough to operate my AC/DC 225/125 welder using a 1/8 inch diameter E6010. Please confirm.
It does appear (if you do the math) that you should be able to use 1/8 in. and smaller diameter electrodes with an AC/DC 225/125 powered by a 5000 or 6000 watt generator. Unfortunately, the design of the transformer on the AC/DC 225/125 is not efficient enough to be powered by a small generator. If you try and weld with this combination you will most likely experience the electrode being hard-to-strike and also the electrode frequently sticking to the work.

If you are fortunate to establish an arc, the arc will tend to pop out frequently. Also, there will not be adequate heat input to the work, resulting in low weld quality (poor fusion), and poor bead appearance.

To successfully run your AC/DC 225/125 welder you would need a minimum of a 15,000 watt AC generator.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
DeepSouthWelder

This is all true but even so you have to have a high wattage generator for field repairs regardless of what your running but you cant always bring the project to the shop you know what i mean and if your like me you don't have a Bobcat laying around and have e to make due.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

DeepSouthWelder wrote:This is all true but even so you have to have a high wattage generator for field repairs regardless of what your running but you cant always bring the project to the shop you know what i mean and if your like me you don't have a Bobcat laying around and have e to make due.
Maybe you misread what I wrote? My inverter welders run on a 5000 (6250 surge) watt plain old generator - paid $100 for it used.

5,000 watt genny will run grinders and medium air compressors too - all a guy would need for small repair/fab.

10,000 to 15,000 watt generators are not cheap near me.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
DeepSouthWelder

Dave I misunderstood your reply . I guess what I was trying to say was make some more videos with basic equipment and some situations that you have to make do with what you have.
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Situations where you have to make due with what you have ...
Maybe a separate thread? Something like: "What was the most extreme or obnoxious case of 'making due' have you ever encountered? Something like that?

By the way, not to offend anyone, but we used to call it 'ghetto rigging'. I apologize in advance! That was a south side of Chicago term!!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Boomer,

Keep in mind, "Wish List" is a place to suggest video ideas for Jody, rather than a discussion topic. We can toss up suggestions, but ultimately, it's on Jody whether he wants to touch the subject or not.

DeepSouthWelder,

Jody does most of his work in a shop, but has done some "ghetto" stuff (I call it "redneck engineering), like TIG welding with a home-made rectifier on an AC buzzbox.

He has much on his plate, as well, so it takes some time for suggestions to be considered.

Steve S