Ideas & suggestions for videos
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Stick welding SS the basics.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Is that a question?

I'll assume it is. MMA/SMAW stainless is a strange animal. There's a very narrow temperature range where it's "plastic" and does what you want it to do. It likes to turn to water and drip out of your puddle in any position other than flat.

You will have to keep a tight arc at first, until heat builds, then you'll gradually increase your arc length to reduce your heat input as you try to move faster.

Practice, practice, practice.

Steve S
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Steve,
I think he was making a suggestion for a video, hence it being in the wish list thread.

Good explanation of it's behavior though.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Good point.

Sometimes I forget which sub-forum I'm reading when I reply.

Steve S
Poland308

Just meant this as a vid idea. We don't do a lot of SS smaw but sometimes you get in a spot it's the best option. They got away from using it real regular here because of the concerns about hexavelent chromium put off from the rod.

Josh

A half-face respirator with P100 particulate cartridges is sufficient for hex-chrome, according to our safety department.

Steve S
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Is that a question?

I'll assume it is. MMA/SMAW stainless is a strange animal. There's a very narrow temperature range where it's "plastic" and does what you want it to do. It likes to turn to water and drip out of your puddle in any position other than flat.

You will have to keep a tight arc at first, until heat builds, then you'll gradually increase your arc length to reduce your heat input as you try to move faster.

Practice, practice, practice.

Steve S
Longer arc length increases heat. More voltage.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Jody has made a visdeo on SS stick welding, which includes some tips on working out amperage based on the colour the electrode glows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmLbwN2AkYg

Mick
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Thanks Mick. I hadn't seen that video, must have been made before I subscribed, good stuff as always.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Len, that must have been made directly to the you-tube channel. It's quite recent, as he's using the 350MP and his shirt has the new "go knock it out" logo, rather than the "weldmonger".

I don't recall it coming in my subscription.

Steve S
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

No problem.

Sent from my ZTE T83 using Tapatalk
Apollo1
    Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:53 pm

I just purchased some stainless rods do not know how use them , also so ready to buy another welder what do you think PIpepro 304 or Trailblazer 302 , the pro has over 3500 hours and trail less than 500
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Apollo1 wrote:I just purchased some stainless rods do not know how use them , also so ready to buy another welder what do you think PIpepro 304 or Trailblazer 302 , the pro has over 3500 hours and trail less than 500
Welcome aboard.

Did you watch the video weldin mike 27 posted a link to?
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

Poland308

Things I learned from my last few SS rod sessions. Very clean SS sch 40 and thicker is fairly easy to get a nice bead on. You need a few less amps than you would use for 7018 on steel. The rod runs watery and the slag forms so fast it takes some time to get a feel for what the puddle is doing. It does not like down hill the slag wants to get under or in front of your bead (whatever will look uglier). Watching the vid is important Jamie was on the money espesially when he mentioned that the rod will weld much diferent as it heats up.

Josh