Ideas & suggestions for videos
    Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:19 pm

Thanks for the great videos and website. You videos have been an inspiration and a great resource for me to learn welding as a hobby. I am not sure that I would have continued trying and learning without your website to refer for instruction and techniques. I work primarily with aluminum and currently I am building an 11 Ft Jet Boat from aluminum.

On a side note, since I started, I have also been doing quite a bit of business with local fab shops for equipment, materials, and services like bending or welding difficult parts of a project. This is business I never would have done had I not started welding. On my own personal experience, the more people who may be inspired to take up welding as a hobby, the better for the local fab shops.

I would like to request videos on aluminum welding in all positions in the 1/8" - 1/4" thickness. I realize that this might be a less common process but definitely would appreciate the effort. Hopefully there will be others out there who will chime in as interested.

Thanks.
Jim S.
Miller 211 Autoset
Everlast 255EXT
Everlast Water Cooler (2)
Everlast PowerPlasma 80S
Longevity 250MP
Lincoln 350MP Aluminum
Hypertherm 30Air
Everlast 350EXT
AKmud
    Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 am

I second that!

Where are you in AK btw?
Steve49suzuki
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:02 pm

With helium mix as well.
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Steve49suzuki wrote:With helium mix as well.
You really don't need helium on aluminum MIG from a hobbyist standpoint. My reasoning for this. Aluminum is already a very hot process because it's spray transfer, not short circuit. If your machine does not have enough amps to weld the material you are working with, then a good bet is you have a machine with a light duty spoolgun. The gun won't handle the additional heat from using helium and you will end up with a damaged gun from excessive heating of its components. Same applies to people trying to spray transfer MIG on steel with might duty guns (those rated below 300 amps.)