General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Toolman27
    Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:13 pm

I am going to purchase a strong hand table soon, I am wondering if it is worth the money to go with the Nitride coating. Most of the fab work we do is aluminum.
Any opinions?
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I have moved this to the General Shop Talk section.

Mick.
    Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:47 am

Toolman27 wrote:I am going to purchase a strong hand table soon, I am wondering if it is worth the money to go with the Nitride coating. Most of the fab work we do is aluminum.
Any opinions?

So, what was the answer?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I don't think it's BEEN answered yet.

I'll suggest this, though. Is your car a "trailer queen", or a daily driver?

If you actually plan to use and abuse your welding table (why else own it?), the nitride is "window dressing", because you'll be buffing, wire-wheeling, or grinding crap off your table for years, so good-bye nitride...

Steve S
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

I've wondered the benefit of the nitride coating too. They don't do a very good job of playing it up.

How about the base metal - does anyone know what alloy they use? Stainless? It does a good job of staying rust-free for a good ground.

For what it's worth, I use a couple of these tables in a public shop where they take some abuse. Weld spatter usually comes off easily with a cold chisel followed by a flap disc cleanup. I recall seeing a YouTube of a guy sharing his technique using polishing stones. Net: I don't know what the nitride coating would do, unless the spatter just falls off it. It doesn't take much to keep the table clean without a special coating.
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!