Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
RogersWelding
    Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:41 pm

Hey,

So a few months back I bought a Lincoln 225 Precision TIG to practice for my level three training which is coming up soon. I've been working on open roots a ton in all positions just to keep up my skill level. I've been struggling way more than I expected especially with the amount of time i've been practicing. Im getting issues with blow back, the key hole is opening up fast and I've tried all the typical things: changing the amps down,(I'm already at 69 which is kinda low seeing I'm using 6010 3/32 rods i was at 76amps in the college if i turn it down anymore I'm sticking) trying out a new land and gap, focussing on my rod angle like angling it more into the puddle to help cool it down as well as preparation of the land and gap, I've been pushing the rod in their hard, I've tried the stepping method, and going up on my bevels to cool the weld down like jody showed in one of his open root videos. I've been going for weeks now and I can't seem to figure this out. If anyone has any input that would help a lot I feel I've tried all i can possibly think. Im wondering if its the machine itself, maybe it can't handle the precision I need to work on open roots. Need some help from all you welders!
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

If you were using lincoln 5p you at school then you were out of the suggested range for that rod. Per Lincoln 3/32 range is 40-70 amps. Even at 69 you are running really hot. I'd try 45-50 amps. Also Lincoln says your machine is supposed to run 6010 without any problems
I have seen quite a few people comment that the brand of 6010 makes a big difference on some machines too. Try lincoln or ESAB rods if you are using something else. Your polarity is correct, right?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Have you been having trouble from day one with your new machine?

Is it possible there's a switching error, where when you switch to "stick" mode, the machine is still delivering "TIG" open-circuit voltage?

From what you describe, the only big change is the machine, and you've been chasing it with changes in technique and fit-up. You should not have to adapt your technique and fit-up to the machine; You should only have to fine-tune to subtle machine differences, and this should be intuitive. What machine(s) were you using in school, and can you access one to check your technique?

Something isn't right here, and I don't think it's you.

Steve S
    Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:21 pm

I use the LPT225 at school. You should be able to burn 6010's all day. I'd definitely have the machine checked.
Check out my journey through welding school https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJWQmJ ... aTma2q31Qg
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

I was on a precision tig 275 for a few months recently, open rooting 6010.it was very prone to sticking, I had to really tighten up my whip, if I wasnt super accurate with the rod it stuck.i ended up gapping the pipe a tiny bit wider which helped the problem.
I thought the machine should have had a bit more oomph,got a manual for it and found that there was an internal switch behind the front panel to control arc force.lincoln mustnt have thought the machine would be used much for stick welding not to have put a dial on the face? Anyway, the machine is assembled with arc force set to 15.flick the internal switch and it goes up to 65.transformed the cellulose capabilities, but a missed beat by lincoln having to disassemble the front panel.
I dont know if the 225 is the same setup?
Dancing with the blue lady
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

Looked at the 225 manual and it doesnt have the same internal arc force switch.maybe check the ocv
Dancing with the blue lady