Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
hodgehouse4
    Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:11 pm

i have recently completed welding school, and during the school, we welded 1/8 to 1/4 steel only. a few days ago, i was able to take a weld test for a company. it was two tests, mig and flux core, 3g, uphill with no backing plate. apparently i failed both tests, never heard anything. their test was on 1/2 steel which i have never welded before so i was lost from the begining, not to mention being nervous. until about 7 months ago, i have never welded......ever... when i do take another weld test, does anyone have any tips that will help me pass??? since it is a thicker material, do i need to put a wider land, other than 1/8. does the gap between the pieces have to be wider than 1/8, for material thicker than a 1/4?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
thank you.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Jody (our host on this website) has posted some weld test videos- a great place to start!
http://welding-tv.com/?s=test
Dave
aka "RTFM"
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Hodge,

Material thickness has almost no influence on how you prep. The root pass is just as thick/deep on a sch. 40 as a sch. 240 (xxs). Only the number of passes changes.

Don't over-think it. Just weld it.

Steve S