General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Corvetteed
    Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:07 pm

I am rebuilding a 2014 Silverado the truck ran over a fire hydrant and punched a hole in the bottom of the rear . differental by the time I have ground out all the cracks the hole measures 2x3 inches I have bent a piece of bar stock to fit in the hole is there any way this can be welded. I have a Miller 200 mig machine can this be used?
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Corvetteed wrote:I am rebuilding a 2014 Silverado the truck ran over a fire hydrant and punched a hole in the bottom of the rear . differental by the time I have ground out all the cracks the hole measures 2x3 inches I have bent a piece of bar stock to fit in the hole is there any way this can be welded. I have a Miller 200 mig machine can this be used?
If its clean it can be welded, Id be more worried about making sure no other stress cracks or issues are anywhere else that may have it twisted or tweaked. I typically TIG on rear ends but the MIG can work, ER70S6 filler should work fine...if necessary you could preheat it with a torch first, let it cool very slowly.....

Make sure it is clean, which can be tough gear oil is a PIA. ;)
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

I'd be really surprised if the axle tubes aren't bent from a hit like that.
After all that work it may not track straight.
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

I would be very concerned about hidden damage after hitting a hydrant. Like mentioned a patch may be okay, but can you feel confident at highway speed that a hidden failure may not occur.