mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
ALDEN C
    Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:43 pm

I am looking for help with 3G GMAW (Mig) CWB (Canadian Welding Bureau) test. I have spent weeks looking and found countless videos and articles on how to weld vertical with 0.035" wire, but have found nothing for doing it with 0.045" wire, which is what we would use at work.

Our local CWB representative claims it is possible to do with 0.045" wire. If anyone has any thoughts/advice for techniques/settings please let me know!!
snoeproe
    Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am

You sure this isn't a flux cor test? This is usually done with duel shield flux cor wire. Duel shield runs excellent in all positions. You must run .045 wore for a CWB test.
ALDEN C
    Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:43 pm

snoeproe wrote:You sure this isn't a flux cor test? This is usually done with duel shield flux cor wire. Duel shield runs excellent in all positions. You must run .045 wore for a CWB test.
Nope not Flux core. We only use either 0.035" or 0.045" wire Mig at our work. The guy providing the testing claims that all positions MIG in 0.045" is possible, but i have no idea how. I feel 0.045" puts out way too much size to build a vertical weld properly. But perhaps my settings are not correct...
snoeproe
    Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am

Vertical up with solid wire mig is a challenge. Not impossible but a challenge for sure. Pulse would help. I much prefer to run solid wire vertical down but I don't think the CWB will allow that. I've never heard of anyone taking a vertical solid wire CWB test.