Welder to welder, post your welding machines, accessories and consumables or items you're looking for. Please read and follow the rules when posting.
Marlowr295
    Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:46 pm

I have a question, recently someone very close to me stole my welder which I saved up a very long time to get. I work at a shop and have a shop welder but I am looking for one to get at home. The only problem is I'm looking for a tig welder with ac/dc capability that I can also plug into my kitchen outlet. So a 120v or a 240v with a converter. Also would like to be able to hook up a foot pedal too I'm not a fan of scratch start. But I have one more problem. I'm getting married next year and me and my fiancé have to put money away and we also have a 4 year old and a 7 year old who drain us of money as well so I'm on a pretty tight budget and I'm at a loss because I have an opportunity to get side work but I can't take it and i don't know what kind of welder I can get. I can't find one on Craigslist or let go or anywhere else so I have to buy new. If you could help direct me in the right direction in which kind of welding machine I should go for that isn't too much money. it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

New, a Lincoln SquareWave 200 is about $1400. You might find a used SW175, but not likely.
HTP/Alpha makes a decent little box, as does Everlast. I suspect both would be 120/240 and are inverter-based. A quality extension cord with an adapter to plug into your dryer outlet might work for your situation.

The AC side of the TIG equation is what jacks the price up. There's heaps of good, small DC only TIG boxes out there. Many though do not include HF start :(
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

The Thermal Arc/Esab Fabricator 186 is a good choice too. About 1700 for a complete package includes pedal.

https://www.weldersupply.com/P/776/Ther ... icator186A
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Personal opinion - Person who stole it is close to you - get it back, or get paid, or have them arrested and get it back.

Again, very person opinion, if the side work will pay for the machine no problem within 6 months or so, just buy whatever you want.

If the side work is just a few $20 bills here and there, then the machine is just for hobby use and won't make you any money.

Since you want to plug it into kitchen outlets, I'm broadly guessing it may be just for hobby use?
Where will you be doing the cutting and grinding?
What type of side work are you being offered? That can affect your machine choice.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

I'm with Dave -- have a little conversation with the weasel who stole your welder and get their abject apology and your welder back.

Second choice for around a grand, maybe less, you can get an AHP AlphaTIG 200x. AC/DC TIG plus stick. I paid just shy of $900 for mine, then dropped another $150 or so on an SSC pedal. The supplied pedal and I just didn't get along. YMMV.

Larry
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
John Chamorro
    Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:44 am
    San Antonio Valley Peoples Republic of Californy

I have a complete SW 175 coming for sale PDQ. It isn't a 120v machine. Where are you located?
I don't know it all but I'm working on it.
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

Some companies will finance. That may or may not help.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk