Welder to welder, post your welding machines, accessories and consumables or items you're looking for. Please read and follow the rules when posting.
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

I would like to have this unit but have no interest in paying new price as I am a hobby welder cannot justify. Anyone on here have one they may want to sell for far less than the $340 new price? PM me if so thanks. I am thinking I am not getting the most out of my welds by breaking the tungsten and then pedestal sharpening and am always looking to perfect my welding.
ljdm1956
    Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:29 pm

I'ved used pedestal, bench, angle grinder, successfully, but as everyone will tell you, don't break the tungsten, it will splinter.
Lincoln Weld-Pak 180
Lincoln spool gun
Everlast PowerUltra 205p
AHP AlphaTig 200X
Assorted stuff
    Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:52 am

Next best thing would be drill and bench grinder/ belt sander. Fast and produces a sharp tip.
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Been using the drill and pedestal grinder for 25 yrs and wonder what I may be missing by not having the deep grind marks causing a wondering arc.
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

bruce991 wrote:I would like to have this unit but have no interest in paying new price as I am a hobby welder cannot justify. Anyone on here have one they may want to sell for far less than the $340 new price? PM me if so thanks. I am thinking I am not getting the most out of my welds by breaking the tungsten and then pedestal sharpening and am always looking to perfect my welding.
This is such a funny post... :lol:

Yeah, I get that you don't want to spend the money to buy one, but those sharpeners don't fall off the turnip truck very often...good luck... :lol:

I mean, I'm not trying to bust your chops, but expecting someone to sell you a Sharpie DX for "far less than the $340 new price" is pretty wishful thinking... :roll:

OTOH, maybe they'll throw in a Miller Dynasty 280 DX for free also. :lol:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

bruce991 wrote:I would like to have this unit but have no interest in paying new price as I am a hobby welder cannot justify. Anyone on here have one they may want to sell for far less than the $340 new price? PM me if so thanks. I am thinking I am not getting the most out of my welds by breaking the tungsten and then pedestal sharpening and am always looking to perfect my welding.
Never break a tungsten. Got that, "NEVER". Change that grinding wheel to a finer grit.. 80 or for a near polish got to a 120. If you want to further improve the grind finish hold the turngsten so that you are grinding with the rotation of the wheel not agaist it. You can start against it to remove material faster but then finish it going with the rotation.

The Sharpies have always been on my wish list but keep getting bumped to the bottom of the list. I can buy a lot of tungstens and sharpen them in my spare time on my bench grinder for what they get for a Dremel tool with a fancy attachment.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

With respect to all, I spent the $300 on a Sharpie. I will say this: its fast, dead consistent, and super easy and convenient. Whether at the bench or in the field, 120v plug and its right there. Saves lots of time and the hassle of swapping tungstens.

I have a sil carbide wheel but I just get tired of the dust and grooves.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

+1
Alot of putting down of Sharpies out there. I use my bench grinder for sharpening drill bits and blades, try doing that with grooves in the wheel.
Get a diamond wheel or a linisher? That sounds like a dedicated tool. I already got one. It's called a sharpie.
Costs a lot of money? That's true of everything. Good tools cost money. When we can't afford it we go to the bamboo box store and make do with a piece of junk until we can afford to bone up and afterwards wish we boned up a long time ago.
For good clean fresh oats we have to pay a fair price. Oats that have already passed through the horse comes cheaper.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Mon May 21, 2018 9:47 pm

I have one, and will not sell it. I am a hobbyist, yet it is well worth the investment, because it produces very reproducible tips. It also cuts nicely --- breaking the tungsten sounds primitive (just cut it with a 4-1/2" angle grinder and cutting disc, while avoiding contamination). However, if I were to buy again, I would not choose the adjustable angle version (like mine); instead would get the fixed angle head. I used a bench grinder before, slowly turning the tungsten in a drill, and that does the job OK, but the Sharpie is lots more convenient and consistent.

This is a good product, its users are not disappointed, and those that spend the money on it, have thought it through. Why would they give it away for pennies? I don't think that's likely, but good luck to you finding a bargain.
HTP Invertig 221H w/ Arctic Chill cooler and CK20 torch
Lincoln MP210 -- SOLD
Optrel Crystal 2.0
sschefer

Never said the Sharpie wasn't a good product. It certainly has it's place and does it's job well. I've come close to buying one on several occasions but I just can't bring myself to doing it.

The dressing tool for my grinder came with the grinder and they are not expensive. I use a pin vise to hold my tungstens but sometimes I use the drill motor method. If you're grinding grooves in your wheel why don't you just move it back and forth and avoid that alltogether. If you are having problems with consistency all you need to do is make a simple guide and mount it to your grinder.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

sschefer wrote:Never said the Sharpie wasn't a good product. It certainly has it's place and does it's job well. I've come close to buying one on several occasions but I just can't bring myself to doing it.

The dressing tool for my grinder came with the grinder and they are not expensive. I use a pin vise to hold my tungstens but sometimes I use the drill motor method. If you're grinding grooves in your wheel why don't you just move it back and forth and avoid that alltogether. If you are having problems with consistency all you need to do is make a simple guide and mount it to your grinder.
The grooves occur because you really can’t run the tungsten to the very edge of the wheel. I have and know how to dress my wheels, thanks. That’s where all the dust comes from.
sschefer

cj737 wrote:
sschefer wrote:Never said the Sharpie wasn't a good product. It certainly has it's place and does it's job well. I've come close to buying one on several occasions but I just can't bring myself to doing it.

The grooves occur because you really can’t run the tungsten to the very edge of the wheel. I have and know how to dress my wheels, thanks. That’s where all the dust comes from.
Stick you shopvac under next to your wheel when you dress it. That works really well at keeping the dust down.
Jamie V
    Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:37 pm

What’s everyone opinion on the cordless sharpie that uses a Milwaukee M12 battery?

https://www.arc-zone.com/cordless-sharp ... -ptgk-dxcl
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Or use a Sharpie
Most of my work is on site anyway so my choices are an angle grinder or the sharpie, it's a no brainer.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Jamie V
    Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:37 pm

Sorry......double post
Wabtklr
    Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:45 am

Check out the TruePoint Tungsten Holder, very consistent results. A lot of pipeline/plant welders use this because it uses no power, and you always have a grinder close. It is small and fits in your pocket, important when you are 70 feet up inside a heater box and need to sharpen.