Welder to welder, post your welding machines, accessories and consumables or items you're looking for. Please read and follow the rules when posting.
mike594
    Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:12 pm

Ok so I'm not a welder at present. I am a pro handyman and have been doing construction since I was a kid. I want to add welding to list of accomplishments. So my question to you all is, what type of welder should I get? My first job will be fixing my truck that has some rust holes in it. It does not pay to have the auto body shop do it because the age of the truck. Then it will be used for little jobs that i encounter. Maybe trailer repair, decorative stuff, a little aluminum stuff who knows? I was looking at the lincoln 180 duel and the miller millermatic 211 that comes with cart and spool gun for like $1440 with free shipping and $100 dollar rebate on ebay. I am open to suggestions. I will also be retiring in the next 8 years, so who knows maybe a couple of welding classes and start a new part time career?
Thanks
Mike
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

You might look at something like the Miller Multimatic 200. Since you are a handyman, this would give you MIG/DC-TIG/DC-Stick
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150
mike594

Thank you for the suggestion Glen. I will investigate it.
Mike
    Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:42 am

You might Check out the thermal arc (now tweeco) 3 in 1 machines... They do mig, tig, (DC only) and stick. You can also add a spool gun for aluminum.
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

One things for sure...if you like fixing stuff...you'll probably like welding. It's pull out your hair frustrating to some people, but after buying a couple welding machines...you can't really spend too much...in my own opinion. You do get what u pay for, and after you buy one you might wish u got something a little better. In my case I bought a miller maxstar 200dx and ever since have regretted not just getting the dynasty 200dx so I could do aluminum. I definitely would recommend the machine I got though to anyone. It's awesome. I just wish it had AC. I like the tig/stick function. You can weld anything just about with tig and if you practice it looks great, but sometimes when welding really dirty, rusty, or lightly painted metal can cause problems for tig/mig...for that Stick is great. Also stick is great if it's windy...it's really one of the easiest ways to learn welding too. Some people think mig is easier but really it's much harder to get full penetration if you don't really know what your doing. Good luck picking out a machine that works for you!
mike594

As far as a multi unit, for stick, tig, mig and all the other hoopla, i have never liked anything that is multi. Once one thing goes in that type of equipment and has to go for repair your done. I would rather have a couple of different units. I know that cost more and takes up more space but that's just me.
Mike
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

Well buddy there is pretty much only Two kinds of machines Constant Current(CC) and Constant Voltage(CV). CC is the same machine really whether your talking Tig/stick...getting one that's not is really just hurting you. CV is pretty much anything wire feed only. There is another kind I think it's Rising Arc, but I' got nothing for ya on that all I know is it's highly specialized. Welders are built very tough if you take care of them/really even if you don't. Just don't get it wet and pay attention to duty cycle.