Welder to welder, post your welding machines, accessories and consumables or items you're looking for. Please read and follow the rules when posting.
migmonkey
    Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:18 am

Hi guys.

I'm looking for parts for a miller thunderbolt.
It's older model with the the crank on top.

I'm specifically loooking for the two yellow connectors to tap the AC side.
I'm missing them from the left two holes. I've opened up the machine, and the last owner appers to have canibalized them along with the wire that leads to wherever it connects to the transformer.
I did not notice when I was buying it. I was too concerned with the DC side of things. :roll:

I would love to run some AC on this thing.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

You can go to the Miller website
http://www.millerwelds.com/service/owne ... .php?model
and look up your specific machine (it varies by serial number) to get the manual and parts list. Then you can find the exact part number you're looking for. Miller sells OEM parts, but you might get lucky on ebay or another site.

A shame the last owner raided it and didn't bother to mention it. Will you be able to connect the AC side to the internal electricals? I don't know if that's tricky or complicated.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
migmonkey
    Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:18 am

I'm really glad i found that manual. I thought this machine was too ancient to even have an online manual.
I thought wrong. The other issue i'm having that the heat wont decrease. The mounting stud/swivel that holds the threaded rod that adjusts the shunt is busted. The heat increases but to decrease it I have to push down on the crank to shove the sthunt down. For fine adjustment I have to shove it down and go up slowly to the heat I want.
I'll see if that can be replaced.

It looks like you can swap the machine over to 120 volts by simply moving around some input leads.
I will give it a shot.

I also found the part number, I'll first open up the machine to see the internals.
Last time i opened it up i think the innards are all there. Just needs the connectors.

Thank you!
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Glad to help, I hope it all comes together for you! When I opened my Tbolt I had to remove a mouse nest and repair some chewed wires. BTW the manual should help with the shunt repair, and it describes some routine maintenance, mostly lubing the shunt.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

migmonkey wrote:I'm really glad i found that manual. I thought this machine was too ancient to even have an online manual.
I thought wrong. The other issue i'm having that the heat wont decrease. The mounting stud/swivel that holds the threaded rod that adjusts the shunt is busted. The heat increases but to decrease it I have to push down on the crank to shove the sthunt down. For fine adjustment I have to shove it down and go up slowly to the heat I want.
I'll see if that can be replaced.

It looks like you can swap the machine over to 120 volts by simply moving around some input leads.
I will give it a shot.

I also found the part number, I'll first open up the machine to see the internals.
Last time i opened it up i think the innards are all there. Just needs the connectors.

Thank you!
Is this the part you need for the shunt? http://www.brweldingsupplies.com/miller ... oil-shunt/
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150