Welder to welder, post your welding machines, accessories and consumables or items you're looking for. Please read and follow the rules when posting.
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

I hope someone here can point me in the right direction. I have approx 24 lbs of tantalum I want to sell. I have been unable to find a good place to sell it. I have an assay sheet for it to certify purity. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers.
-Eldon
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Interesting.

While I'm familiar with Tantalum from the periodic table, I'm unsure where the market would be for it.

Thanks... now I'll be down the rabbit hole on google for hours.

Steve S
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Mad scientist building a doomsday machine?

Tantalum is not on the terrorism watch list....

But...

It's on the conflict resources list, right up there with blood diamonds (though in a much smaller quantity).

Steve S

Eldon,
I've thought this through for a bit. Tantalum is rarer than gold, and used as a substitute for platinum, so I'd assume the pricing for "pure" to be high.
Speak to a jeweler you trust about where to sell rare metals like this. He may be able to put you on the right track. I know it's not a jewel metal, but who knows better the market for rare metals?

Steve S
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Coin collectors are often rare metal guys too
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

That's the main material needed to construct a flux capacitor ... but you'll need plutonium for the reactor, that's the hard bit....

... thats funny .. theres some guys in suits at my door
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Begs the question, why do you have it and what was it used for?
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Here is a link to pricing. Currently about $170 a kg. http://www.infomine.com/investment/meta ... e/6-month/
Greenlee
    Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:51 am

xwrench wrote:I hope someone here can point me in the right direction. I have approx 24 lbs of tantalum I want to sell. I have been unable to find a good place to sell it. I have an assay sheet for it to certify purity. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers.
-Eldon
soutthpaw wrote:Begs the question, why do you have it and what was it used for?
I worked on a piece of Tantalum Tubing 4" or 6" I.D about 30 years ago. It's considered Rare Earth and Refractory with a extremely high melting point just under Tungsten's melting point. It came from a chemical plant and was part of the piping used in making Titanium or something related to it because the Titanium Ore is what ran through the Tantalum Tube being worked on. It is the only material that can withstand the abrasive properties in the Titanium Ore. It was grayish (can't remember light or dark) in color. You need a small umbrella cone placing the heat in a small area, it conducts heat very well. (Light off on Pure Aluminum and see what it's like to get a puddle going) Extreme amperage to weld it because of it's properties. For some reason we didn't preheat, I would assume it has tremendous strength similar to Titanium only a grade above and the need for 100% Argon purge and coverage with a trailing cup if I can remember it's the same for the Tantalum. If I'm wrong, can't help it. Tantalum is used in just about everything one way or another and I don't mean McDonald's Big Mac's. Look it up or ask one of the welding engineers on the forum to explain all the areas of use.

I would search for shops or business that weld Tantalum, or fabricate with Tantalum. Look for a Welding Supply Company that sells Tantalum Heliarc Wire (TIG) and give them a fair deal. Don't give it away it is worth a lot of money. Call one of the hundred or so metal companies that advertise they deal with it and will give you a price if you call. Somebody always willing to deal you just got to look for them

Greenlee