Welder to welder, post your welding machines, accessories and consumables or items you're looking for. Please read and follow the rules when posting.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Hey all.

I'd really like to get my hands on a Second Edition copy of the book 'Metals and How to Weld Them' ... Yes, the blue hardcover one that Jody speaks highly of.

It's available on the J Lincoln Foundation website for $10 U.S., but costs the earth by the time postage is calculated.

Wondering if anyone either has a good copy they are willing to sell, or is willing to shell out the $10 and then post to me in Australia - needless to say I'll PayPal you the book plus postage costs prior to anything going ahead.

Even if the book is $10 and postage/your time is $20, I'd still be way ahead compared to what I'm seeing online. Let me know if you can help, I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Kym
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

How old are you?
How long have been welding?
How much do you want to spend?
Have extensive library that needs to be passed on.
Need to look and check on postage if your interested. Do you know how would be cheapest?
Rick
Mpls MN 55407

PM your interest.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)

Hey Rick.

That's really kind of you...but all I'm really after is this one book, and I don't want to be any trouble. Or at least, as little trouble as possible.

There is no rush or hurry at all. Standard USPS is fine. If, when you have a moment, you can just get a quote and throw the book in a standard post bag, I'll PayPal you the cost of the book, postage and a six pack of brews.

I'm in South Australia, post code 5125.

Again, no hurry. Appreciate your help very much.

P.S ... To answer your question, im 49 and have been TIG welding a few months. Have general welding (oxy, stick) prior to this)

Kym
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Checking USPS looks Like $50+ postage? + 10$ book?

????
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Here's a thought.
Why don't you contact the very helpful people at the weldmongerstore and ask them very nicely if they could send it to you in the same parcel with your purchase of much needed supplies - tig fingers, lense kits etc. Their postage rates are very reasonable and you could get the book posted to them. Don't know if they are set up to be able to offer this kind of service but it might be worth a shot.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

Coldman wrote:Here's a thought.
Why don't you contact the very helpful people at the weldmongerstore and ask them very nicely if they could send it to you in the same parcel with your purchase of much needed supplies - tig fingers, lense kits etc. Their postage rates are very reasonable and you could get the book posted to them. Don't know if they are set up to be able to offer this kind of service but it might be worth a shot.
May be worth a try - good thought.

Yeah, and Rick, the USPS thing is a mystery. Cheap book, very bloody expensive postage. The nice people at the Lincoln Foundation are obviously going to some lengths to make the book an affordable resource, but USPS send that all to hell with their postage rates. And last time I used ComGateway it turned into a pain in the butt.

Might indeed have to try Weldmonger Store.

None of this is urgent, but I feel it would be a great book to have on hand.

Kym
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I have no idea what UPS are thinking with those rates? Are they even serious? Has anyone actually tryed to get a reasonable rate from them?

weldin mike 27 wrote:I have no idea what UPS are thinking with those rates? Are they even serious? Has anyone actually tryed to get a reasonable rate from them?
I certainly haven't consulted with an actual human being, no. Just gasped in horror as the USPS calculator at the JLF website worked its evil magic.

Kym
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I know. It's simply insane. Not the evil genius insane, but the batshit crazy "I've destroyed my business, skinned my family and talk to my dead mother in fluent Polish" (I'm so sorry for the content of this post, I'm all out of anti crazy pills)

Sent from my ZTE T83 using Tapatalk
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

UPS isnt the same as USPS

What you have been looking at is probably the USPS flat rate, meaning fixed price up to 5-10 kg, tracked and signed for. I got a book send from the states for about 10$. Cant remember how he sent it but look for other options, there are cheaper ways. Specially if one trusted family member from this site is sending it ;)
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

UPS shipping is $11.76 for a $10 book, even to my location within the US.

I'm trying to remember a conversation about this from some time back. The solution was to call the JFL Foundation and ask to have the book shipped differently, or described differently, or somehow hack the system a little.
Dave
aka "RTFM"

Artie F. Emm wrote:UPS shipping is $11.76 for a $10 book, even to my location within the US.

I'm trying to remember a conversation about this from some time back. The solution was to call the JFL Foundation and ask to have the book shipped differently, or described differently, or somehow hack the system a little.
Hey Artie.

Sometimes just treating people well works. I think I'll send a very polite email to JFL pleading my case and asking if there is any option at all to have it posted for less.

Cheers,

Kym