Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
CMSRacing
    Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:47 pm

Hello,
I was told to take an elective in undergrad, so I took welding and have been hooked ever since. Mostly personal jobs, but a few paying ones. Most of my schooling taught me how to sit behind a desk, so up until recently I only welded for fun or necessity.

Currently I work at a makers space called The Manufactory over the river in Cincinnati. It's a 17,000 sq. ft. shop, open to the public. We have everything from a CNC mill to an industrial sewing machine.

I'm in charge of the education wing. We get a mix of engineers, machinists, artists, makers, folks who just want learn how to make stuff, and folks who want make stuff but don't know how. This morning I help a guy with a jewelry box he's been working on for a month, built from hard wood. This afternoon I taught someone the fun [WINKING FACE] you can have with stainless and a TIG torch, and tonight I taught someone how to use a bandsaw for the first time. Life's much better out from behind a desk.

I've picked up many skills over the years, but never worked at one long enough to be an expert. As I've looked around there seem to be a lot of knowledgeable folks here, so I hope to pick up from your experience, especially the welding instructors out there. While I'm not teaching anyone to a level of certification, I do introduce a lot of people to welding, and get a number of different questions each week about all sorts of welding applications.

I'm sure I'll be bugging you with questions soon...
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

cms
welcome the forum.
sounds like an interesting job
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum CMS.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
BWR
  • BWR
    Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:19 pm

Welcome to the forum, this is a great place to find the answers to those questions and advice from guys that have done this all there lives.
CMSRacing

Thanks for the welcome. The two questions I came looking for today were already covered in other threads! I'm sure I'll get something odd soon though.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

CMSRacing,

Welcome!

I think the Manufactory concept is one of the brightest ideas I've come across, and I'm glad to meet someone who's a part of it. The trades have been sorely lacking in access for the average young man or woman, and this "shareware" version of the idea is wonderful!

If there's anything we can help with, don't hesitate to ask. I have rather diverse interests, and even know a facebook page dedicated to hand-carving wooden spoons... :shock:

Steve S
CMSRacing

Carved spoons you say? I'm always looking to add to the curriculum.
Here is the website to the shop if anyone is interested:
http://www.themanufactory.us
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

I'll have to try and stop down there before I head back to Pittsburgh for good. I'm up in Lima, but I used to help out down at the Motorsports Country Club in Batavia on the weekends and stuff so I'm pretty familiar with the greater Cincinnati area.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

CMSRacing,

Here's that FB forum. I apologize I can't admin the site and clean it. It's been bastardized by glassblowers and their pot pipes...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/591524137630417/
CMSRacing

GreinTime wrote:I'll have to try and stop down there before I head back to Pittsburgh for good. I'm up in Lima, but I used to help out down at the Motorsports Country Club in Batavia on the weekends and stuff so I'm pretty familiar with the greater Cincinnati area.
Stop in any time. We always have someone available to give tours.
CMSRacing

Otto Nobedder wrote:CMSRacing,

Here's that FB forum. I apologize I can't admin the site and clean it. It's been bastardized by glassblowers and their pot pipes...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/591524137630417/

Thanks,
This looks interesting. I may need the wife's help as I'm not well versed in facebook, but these look like projects that could be good for classes.
Seth