Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
    Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:59 am

Hi Everyone,

I have spent some time recently reading through the various threads on this site, and I really like atmosphere. I figure this is probably a good forum to join and contribute to as time permits - as always, there is just never enough time!

Quick background, I'm a mechanical engineer who loves mountain biking and hobby machining. I have wanted to learn TIG for a long time now to build mountain bike frames, but only recently acquired some welding equipment. First project was a stand for my new lathe built with a Lincoln AC225C stick welder and 3/32" 6013 electrodes. Next up is learning to braze/fillet braze with the oxy-acetylene torch. Wouldn't you know it - welding is pretty fun too!

I can post pictures of the lathe stand soon if anyone is interested.

-Derek
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Welcome to the forum. Always happy to check out any project.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:36 am

Welcome. Bike frames might take some real practice getting that stack of dimes look but you've probably got a leg up on most beginners given your background.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Derek,

It is a great atmosphere here. A group of friends and neighbors.

Since you've read around a bit, you've likely seen Zank's posts... He builds high-end custom bikes and would likely be a great source of advice for you. I don't think he builds mountain bikes, so you're not "the competition".

I also look forward to what you can contribute. In your reading, you may have noticed topics that could benefit from an engineer's perspective.

Steve S
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Derek, welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:59 am

Thanks for the welcome everyone, and sorry for the delayed response. I have attached some pictures of the lathe stand.
20160923_212034.jpg
20160923_212034.jpg (39.76 KiB) Viewed 474 times
20160923_212716.jpg
20160923_212716.jpg (42.49 KiB) Viewed 474 times
20161018_203023.jpg
20161018_203023.jpg (33.09 KiB) Viewed 474 times
IMG_20161113_085844147.jpg
IMG_20161113_085844147.jpg (30.38 KiB) Viewed 474 times
My machining setup.
20160718_204700.jpg
20160718_204700.jpg (77.48 KiB) Viewed 474 times
Otto Nobedder wrote:Welcome, Derek,

It is a great atmosphere here. A group of friends and neighbors.

Since you've read around a bit, you've likely seen Zank's posts... He builds high-end custom bikes and would likely be a great source of advice for you. I don't think he builds mountain bikes, so you're not "the competition".

I also look forward to what you can contribute. In your reading, you may have noticed topics that could benefit from an engineer's perspective.

Steve S
Steve, I have seen some of Zank's posts. I was first introduced to him through the Welding Tips and Tricks podcast, which was the perfect subject for me! And there isn't too much "competition" among frame builders as far as I can tell. Everyone is in the sport for the love of it, and not for the money (...what money?...). And I will definitely be on the lookout for those threads I can weigh in on. If I don't see it - feel free to PM me - maybe I can provide a different point of view or opinion.
Ryan_82 wrote:Welcome. Bike frames might take some real practice getting that stack of dimes look but you've probably got a leg up on most beginners given your background.
I'm looking forward to the practice! I'm sure I won't have that stack of dimes look for a LONG time, if ever, and I'm ok with that as long as they are structurally sound. That's why we invented grinders and files, right?!