Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
bigfabdaddy
    Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:26 pm

I am about 60 miles east of pitt. I am picking up a AHP alpha TIG 200X to start learning to tig weld. I currently have a SP-175 Plus from a few years back still setup for flux core wire. I will be picking up some solid wire and gas soon to start practicing beads with it. I am hoping to some day either go back to being a coal miner or to get in to welding as a professional. I am 32 years old with 2 kids and a loving girlfriend so I am unable to travel to go to a welding school or find work. Is it possible to become a paid welder never attending any welding classes?
Lincoln SP 175 Plus
AHP Alpha TIG 200X (on the way)
Oxy/Acetylene Torch
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome...
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

It's going to take a little more patience to get a job. Apply for any job even if it says "2 years experience or technical school" because if there is no one who has this time than they may hire you if you have the skill. It may take a while longer to get a job without the schooling or experience. Or another option is starting your own weekend company doing small fab jobs, repairs, or machinist work and bring in extra cash and if you get enough work you could work for yourself.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
bigfabdaddy

Thanks
Lincoln SP 175 Plus
Oxy/Acetylene Torch
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

bigfabdaddy wrote:... Is it possible to become a paid welder never attending any welding classes?
It is. It's not the easiest path. I'm paid quite well for my skills, and I've never taken a welding class in my life. However, I was willing to work for just barely over minimum wage for some back-woods redneck mom-and-pop shops to develop the experience to move up. Those little shops are more likely to take a chance on someone who'll work cheap, show a serious interest, and be reliable. I suppose I had about three years of working for peanuts before I started getting a half-decent wage, and maybe five more years in sweat shops before I really broke out and started getting paid good money. I had several interruptions to this process, pursuing other ventures, but those skills came home to roost, as well.

It's a hard row to hoe, but it's rewarding to reap what you've sown.

Steve S
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:
bigfabdaddy wrote:... Is it possible to become a paid welder never attending any welding classes?
It is. It's not the easiest path. I'm paid quite well for my skills, and I've never taken a welding class in my life. However, I was willing to work for just barely over minimum wage for some back-woods redneck mom-and-pop shops to develop the experience to move up. Those little shops are more likely to take a chance on someone who'll work cheap, show a serious interest, and be reliable. I suppose I had about three years of working for peanuts before I started getting a half-decent wage, and maybe five more years in sweat shops before I really broke out and started getting paid good money. I had several interruptions to this process, pursuing other ventures, but those skills came home to roost, as well.

Steve S
Take this mans word. He ended it with a motivational punch line I mean seems legitimate to me.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
bigfabdaddy

Farmwelding wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:

Steve S
Take this mans word. He ended it with a motivational punch line I mean seems legitimate to me.
Sounds like a plan to me.
Lincoln SP 175 Plus
Oxy/Acetylene Torch