Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
    Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:08 am

Hey guys, just a quick introduction. I'm a journeyman woodworker with 27 years experience that has had the opportunity to learn (from scratch) a new skill at my job. We do custom commercial jobs that require millwork and metal fabrication in the same shop. While I am still in the millwork side, I'm cross-training in the metal department to be able to help out when they need it. Currently practicing Aluminum TIG and MIG and am looking for any tips on those subjects.
Last edited by WoodpeckerWelder on Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Why is there never time to do anything right the first time but always time to do it again?"
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Clean aluminum better than you think it needs to be before you weld it. And, a preheat with a torch helps a great deal to get the alloy to weld up better. Especially with MIG. Have a few stainless steel brushes that are reserved ONLY for use on aluminum and they will help clean and scuff up the oxidation prior to welding.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome...
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:08 am

Thanks for the info. I'm quite lucky in that I am able to practice with company equipment and an (almost) unlimited amount of scrap. We have "volunteer Saturday" and I am able to get practice with various settings, techniques, etc. They have been very helpful in getting me pointed in the right direction and then saying "Play with it. Change settings, see what makes it fail, or makes you successful and just keep laying beads." So I can already see the value of a TIG finger, know about glove shrinkage, what that ugly Grey color is right before you blow a hole right through your piece etc.... (I know, too hot, and or too slow, wrong torch angle or any number of variables that can cause disaster). I'm working on technique and soaking up anything I can to learn.
"Why is there never time to do anything right the first time but always time to do it again?"