Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
Stacy Lynn B.
    Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:42 pm

Hello group...My name is Stacy and I'm an Iron Worker Apprentice in Minnesota getting ready to try for my 3G and 4G stick weld certs. I'm also an Air Force Veteran and have previous training and experience in Metals Technology. I also have 12 years experience in a previous job doing MIG welding on mild and stainless steel (mostly seams on electrical enclosures). I've been watching Jody's videos on You Tube for about the last year as they help me troubleshoot problems and offer extra tips for my welding as I practice for my Stick Certs. Uncle Sam gave me some training on Stick, Tig and Oxy Acetylene welding, but it'd been years since I practiced any of those. Flux Core is something we use a lot here but is completely new to me. I'll look forward to finding help here when I start learning that process. TIG is not part of our scheduled training curriculum, but it IS possible to get side training and certify, which I hope to do eventually as it was my favorite form of welding. And, TIG certification is a perk since there aren't very many who have it. Oxy Acetylene is primarily used just for torch cutting jobs not welding with us. I look forward to browsing and chatting in the forum and welcome any tips, advice or conversations about welding. Also hoping to hear from other welding Iron Workers out there who can help an apprentice build her skills as she works her way to Journeyman! :D
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Welcome aboard Stacy! Thank you for your service in the wild blue yonder! Since you are going to be working in tig by yourself for the most part, be sure to take pictures if you ask questions-clears a lot of confusion at times. Any way, hope you learn something and hope we learn from you.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Stacy!

I spent several years as a trades explorer, working as many of them as they'd let me. This includes Ironwork. I've done connecting 250' in the air, walked the iron, and welded the structure. What I will offer is this. Everything I ever learned from ironwork and every tool I ever owned from ironwork came with me to a seemingly completely unrelated job. Knowledge and skill are things no one can ever take from you, and the ability to apply those tools comes with you, too.

If this is your life's dream and all you ever want to do, then go for it and be the best you can. If you see, in 15 years, not working so hard physically, bring all the knowledge back to earth with you and use it in your next endeavor.

Steve S
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Stacy, welcome to the forum, and thank you for your service.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200