Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
TominDallas
    Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:49 pm

I am not a professional welder, but I have welded professionally. I love welding. Been doing it all my life. I'm 53 and when I started I was in gradeschool. I have a Miller Syncrowave 200 and a Millermatic 211 MIG. The most difficult for me being TIG. I've done all processes of welding except for TIG until about two years ago when I got the machine. My problem being coordination between pedal and dipping the filler. TIG welding for me reminds me most of torch welding with half a dozen more variables. I can't walk and chew gum at the same time. I'm sure I'll eventually get passable... I'd like to follow along with everybody and add something if I have anything to add. Nice to meet you guys.
anthonyfawley
    Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:58 pm

Welcome :D
Wobulate
    Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 am

Hi Tom, Wobulate here,
I can understand your frustration, but I find getting into a relaxed state improves all aspects and motions of TIG welding. I to am new to TIG welding, and I am working hard to get both hands and my foot to operate in synch.

UPDATE, SUN 30-JAN-2011
Today I spent 4 hours running beads on 0.090" 6061-T6. I had a number of tests to run and a plan to get-er-done. I used 3/32 Pure Tungsten and 1/16 4043 filler rod. I ran edge beads, stacked beads, gap filler beads and filler-less cleaning beads. And, once again, if I would just keep the tungsten out of the puddle and the filler rod off the tungsten life would be much better. I used Pulse/no Pulse/Balanced/Unbalanced/1 PPS/2PPS/20 PPS/and pulsed the foot control. I had a great time learning, and discovered that I had purchased the right machine for me.

One interesting adjustment I made to my position vs the weld bead direction. I first welded in the normal perpendicular to the travel direction of the weldment. Then I tried welding in parallel with the weldment, pulling the torch toward me and placing the filler rod near my left ear to align it with the puddle. This parallel method straightened up my bead profile and all I did was change my position relative to the weld.

Wob
WOB
Lincoln,Precision TIG225
Miller,Millermatic 251
Miller,Spoolmatic 30A
Miller,Millermatic 130XP
Miller,Spectrum 625
Miller,Thunderbolt 225AC
KMG,Belt Grinder/2x72
Ingersoll Rand,Compressor/5HP
MSC/Vectrax,Band Saw Horizontal-Vertical/7x12