Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
paulnapper
    Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:23 pm

Good evening.

I am new to the metal fabrication and welding arena. I am a Technology Coordinator for a career center. I have been doing the IT thing for 20 plus years and it's work. Welding is totally a hobby nothing else and probably will not be making ch else. He allows me to reduce stress while creating or fixing something.

I am just starting so money and supplies are tight so I am starting out with some stuff from Harbor Freight. Ok I hope you have stopped laughing. I hope to learn and even maybe supply some knowledge someday.

Paul
From Fredericktown Ohio
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Paul, welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Danylo66
    Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:16 am

Welcome to the Forum.
Harbour freight is what it is. I`m Here in Canada, we have a similar store called Princess auto.
Ive been to both stores, just be selective what you buy. The tig rods that i have purchased from Prinsess Auto work okay.
I know some You Tubers have done reviews on Harbour freight stuff, and found the mig wire not to be as good as a name brand. But I`m not bashing, for the price, you get to practice and the stuff will work.
Ive bought , and I was lucky to fine, a used Everlast 140st. Dc only tig/stick machine. No fancy options but Ive done so much with it. I think I paid $200 Canadian for it New it is about 350. CD.
For the extra few dollars Id recomend the Everlast 160. A friend bought it and I tried it. Nice 2 steps up from mine.
I think around 650 Canadian. $489 US.
There are other good inexpensive welders, these ones I have experince with.
Lots of screaming, crying and swearing while learning, but hey it relaxes me. LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
paulnapper

Thank you Danylo66 for the response. I am just working with what makes sense right now. Harbor Freight has been good to me an my little little flux core welder does a nice job. I really like the deals they have for sure. You can do some things on the cheap but still get the job done. I will do so research on your post for sure and compare and contrast.
Danylo66

I hear you. Flux core is pretty handy. Svaes on having to have a bottle of gas. :D
paulnapper

So those are both stick welders. I found some really good reviews on both. I am unfamiliar with stick welding though. Howe, I am willing to learn. Thanks for the knowledge
Danylo66

They are both considered stick welders with a tig or some prefer to call it GTAW. But thats getting to fancy :D :D
All depends on what you would like weld and how.
tig can be frustrating. But rewarding. Mig or GMAW is simpler and handy for many things.
I always wanted to learn Tig, because I was told, when I was younger, that its to hard to learn.
Well they were wrong. :D :D :D :D
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

The attitude I take on welding,

It's all easy to learn.
It's just easier not to...

Come and play. You'll learn a ton here, without trying.

Steve S
paulnapper

Thank you for your responses. Since I only have about 4 months in the books for welding, I am not too experienced. Right now, I am just continuing to learn as much as I can about flux but I do want to move on to some MIG and stick too. TIG I think will be well down the road for me.