Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
cashmore944
    Fri May 26, 2017 7:18 am

hey guys, new here from southern new jersey. first off id like to say how much this forum has been helpful for a new welder, the tips and tricks forum and videos have been a huge help with set up and the wealth of knowledge. Which leads me to my next question. besides questions I really have no experience with tig/mig welding. I am ok with the basics but do not trust my welds for anything structural. because its a self taught thing with zero instruction. moderators please let me know if this isn't appropriate for this forum. if so I apologize. ive been working for ford motor company for 10 years. 30 years old and been building fast street cars for a long time. at this point most aftermarket parts that can buy will not work for my applications. so im working my way into fabricating parts ex, upper and lower arms, subframes, ex.

now I do plan on going to my local community college for schooling, they have 2 classes basic and advanced, for welding technology, both 180 hrs, both about $2100 dollars. and both seem to be about all that's something I can swing being I do work a 7-7 and need night classes. but they seem to be more towards teaching into to the pipeline welding and such, they cover some tig, I asked if they teached the correct way to roll cage welding, suspension, thin aluminum/titanium ex. and it didn't seem like they do. so I was pretty bummed about that

now to the last question. does anyone know of any classes that I could attend to learn this skill set to practice and refine? or is there possibly anyone local to me that would be willing to mentor for the basics, id much rather learn from an experienced welder then attempt to teach myself for things that will be on vehicles. much appreciated guys, and if this is not aloud in the intro section my appoligize again. and thank for this forum
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Welcome Cash. Take the classes that you know will fit in with your schedule. Many of the basics they should be teaching will cross over to all forms of welding. Really what's a roll cage except thin wall pipe?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

944, welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200