Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
AlakeyFry
    Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:37 am

Hello, everyone, my name is Alexander Fry. I'm going to use a welding machine to make the craft for cosplay (swords, armor, etc.). I'm used to work with wood and foam polystyrene because it's incredibly easy to work and to give them shape. But I'm tired of the fact that сraft is getting useless garbage after the staged battle at festivals. The last sword I had to make was a sword of the Talon. (Photo from below). I worked with foam polystyrene. The blade was not bad, but the material was sludge. And I decided that it's better I'll drag a heavier craft during the performance. But it will be strong and reliable. Now actually what I need help with.

1) Choose a welding machine.

I`m living with father in Houston, Texas. But due to my job, I quite often go to the UK. My father has an old lincoln MIG, but I do not really like it because it's too cumbersome, and in cosplay I have to work mostly with small parts. So I thought, in England, quite popular are other manufacturers, not those to which I'm used. Experienced welders, tell me, does it have point to buy a device in Britain, or is there something better and cheaper in our country? I`m considering one of those MIGs https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/mig-welder, especially the dirty works as it costs only about 70 pounds.

2) Which metal is best to use. Suppose, I need to make the sword of the Lich King from the universe of the WOW. I heard that aluminum can be weld. As for me a good idea for the armor.

3) I really hope that you can advise some guides and tutorials that I could read \ see as I have only a general idea of welding.

Thank you in advance.
Attachments
i45^cimgpsh_orig.jpg
i45^cimgpsh_orig.jpg (20.24 KiB) Viewed 849 times
i39^cimgpsh_orig.jpg
i39^cimgpsh_orig.jpg (8.07 KiB) Viewed 849 times
^F1C4F8F80A6EB9222826D005328F3A73DD901ADC0BE6C9626C^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
^F1C4F8F80A6EB9222826D005328F3A73DD901ADC0BE6C9626C^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg (52.43 KiB) Viewed 849 times
^969447C2F35B0FB6B399BFD52B6EC896C8727413F64B89E62D^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
^969447C2F35B0FB6B399BFD52B6EC896C8727413F64B89E62D^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg (42.86 KiB) Viewed 849 times
^06CE51F8DCC6EE2FE232C3FD1C895B12925FF2F0B01DF6547D^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
^06CE51F8DCC6EE2FE232C3FD1C895B12925FF2F0B01DF6547D^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg (68.68 KiB) Viewed 849 times
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Welcome! I would think if you want to work with light metal and do detail work that a TIG machine is in your future. We have several members who will be knowledgeable in machines available in Britain and the surround EU.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Yup.. As above I suspect a TIG would be the most useful as you'll likey need to build light framework designs for purposes like cosplay or LARP'ing and probably want it to look neat/clean too. (the latter will take practice, practice, practice!! :lol: )

I would not go for 'full metal' parts for designs like these as you can simply run into problems with 'weapons' really becoming that or viewed that way by different authorities. Steel edges and such are often not allowed in cosplay/roleplay environments for safety reasons. (don't want to poke an eye out or hurt someone..)

However.. Next to going to metal frameworks to build on (eg. aluminium to keep it at least light) for this application you probably also want to dig into other techniques like for instance doing your own fibreglass designs.

That can also be a great material to work with as you can make fairly complex shapes that are still strong and rigid and can be used as a base/framework for other materials.

And there's more plastic/composites out there that even a hoobyist can work with (and various of there you can even weld ;) )

Metals do have their place and sometimes designs will call out for more intricate patterns or setups that really work best when done in some form of metal.

Costume and prop design and building is a very, very wide field of work so you'll probabnly want to get experience in many different meterials and crafting methods.

For your 'sticking bits of metal together' option as mentioned above I'd suggest looking at a smallish AC/DC TIG machine that's about 160 to 200A max. For this kind of work you are more in need of precision and control than brute force.

Bye, Arno.
AlakeyFry

Thank you very much for your answers, I agree, accuracy can only be obtained with a long practice. I am very glad that my work allows me to have enough time to develop and try myself in something new. To be honest, it's a little scary to work with welding for the first time. But I've seen what works of metal art people do ...

In occasion of the weapon from metal - you are right, but not really. You can not use sharpened weapons, with a piercing or cutting edge. But if the blade of the sword is blunt, and the tip is rounded, or dull, then there will be no problems.

And lastly, about the welder which you advised:
1) Excellent) I adore Steve Vai :D (Joke, I know that you are talking about current, just funny to see the same abbreviation, as one of my favorite bands have)
2) Will it be possible to weld aluminum? I still think that this is the best choice because of the ratio of strength to weight.
Last edited by AlakeyFry on Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlakeyFry

BTW, at the evening, when I`ll be at home, or tomorrows morning I would share a pic of the sword that I would need to the next festival. Hope together we would decide which metal to use to craft it. The festival is in 2 months so, I think, I would already have welder and some practice using it)
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

If you're looking at machines in the UK that has a little more to offer than just being cheap I would suggest RTech, Parweld and Jasic. All China made but spoken good about.

I have a Parweld Xti 200 AC/DC at home so anything you want to know I have personal experience from.

That Parweld machine is sold as Thermal Arc (not sure about what model name) in the US.

The Rtech machines are said to be the same as Everlast in US.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
AlakeyFry

Hello everyone, I left town for a few days, but at last I came back, as I promised to attach a photo of the character and the sword that I need to make. The problem is that I did not find the appropriate drawings so I have to measure myself and make them.
Regarding the welding machine - I think to stop the choice on this little one. Will it suit my needs? I'm very attracted to the fact that it is small. https://www.amazon.co.uk/MMA-ARC-Invert ... =rtech+tig
Attachments
26c1f59394f1664c27928019982307a7--seraph-of-the-end-character-design.jpg
26c1f59394f1664c27928019982307a7--seraph-of-the-end-character-design.jpg (93 KiB) Viewed 738 times
AlakeyFry

Mike wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Hello, thank you)
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

AlakeyFry wrote:I think to stop the choice on this little one. Will it suit my needs? I'm very attracted to the fact that it is small. https://www.amazon.co.uk/MMA-ARC-Invert ... =rtech+tig
That's a basic stick-welder (electrode arc-welding, shielded metal arc welding, SMAW) though and not a TIG machine.

You could use stick-welding for your purpose, but it's is a lot more 'messy' than TIG (smoke, sparks, dirt deposits on material) and especially for thin metals it can be tricky to get right and not blow holes through it.

TIG is 'cleaner' as a process and offers more control, but does require a machine like this (AC if you want to weld aluminium too):

http://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/tig-weld ... dc-160amp/

The welder tends to be supplied with at least an initial torch and some parts and cables, but for TIG you'd still need at least:
- argon bottle (consumable)
- tungsten electrodes
- grinder to sharpen electrodes
- regulator

(for all you of course need a helmet and gloves, etc.)

I'd suggest seeing if you can do some introductory course into various welding types somewhere (at least stick, MIG and TIG) and get a feel for the processes to see what would be suitable for your application and then look at getting a machine.

Bye, Arno.