Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
reflexsa
    Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:16 am

Hi all,

I'm a lab engineer in the electronic/mechatronic field and recently got in to welding. Mainly as a hobby and a personal drive to be able to create and fix things on my own. Space allowing, I would also like to acquire a small lathe. When I feel I'm ready, I will take on some small jobs for the weekends.

I started out with stick welding on a cheap inverter welder and modified it to have a foot pedal. I very soon grew tired of scratch start TIG and upgraded to an ACDC machine with HF start. Still a fairly cheap one, but it opens a lot of doors.
I really enjoy the TIG process for its cleanliness and precision!
In South Africa 6013 seems to be the rod of choice and I have really struggled with slag inclusion on fillet welds. Anyway, I'm still a beginner and learning and will continue to practice. I have been watching a lot of the welding tips and tricks videos as well as listening to the podcasts.

Cheers!
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Welcome aboard mate! Good to have a new member from a new area. As for those 6013s, it's like the metric system. Everyone uses them except the U.S.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
reflexsa
    Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:16 am

Farmwelding wrote:Welcome aboard mate! Good to have a new member from a new area. As for those 6013s, it's like the metric system. Everyone uses them except the U.S.
Haha thanks! Yes, watching all these videos and listening to podcasts I'm becoming a little more proficient with converting to millimeters :)