Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
BuildSci
    Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:57 pm

I am new to this site and will make my rounds to the other sites. I have been welding now for 17 years off/on, I have certifications in SMAW, GMAW, FCAW, GTAW, and experience in friction stir welding and underwater wet welding. I started learning about welding and metals at a young age by reading books (those paper things no one but me seems to want anymore), then moved on to learning from whoever would teach me (heavy structural welders, motorsports fabricators, pipe welders, nuclear welders, etc), then attended several schools, and now am focused on returning the favor by passing the information on to those who seek it, while still trying to learn more as I go. I (like most) started with basically nothing but a Campbell Hausfeld MIG welder from Walmart, then progressed into buying more equipment as the time passed. I Now have my own shop that is growing in size, and complexity. I use it to work on some of my ideas, and teach on the weekends. I am in the process of starting my own YouTube channel, however as there are many...MANY...welding and fabrication videos that teach technique, I wish to focus on the science of welding and building things as well as add some of my own technique into the mix. I really wish to expand on several important things that I have seen partially addressed on the internet, and questions I get asked by those that I instruct now. I hope to try to bridge the gap between the engineer and the hands that build, yet bring the science component to the front so a better understanding is made, as the stronger the understanding is, the better the outcome will be. The training I have received goes far past welding as I have been a tool and die machinist apprentice, a CNC machinist, a commercial diver/underwater welder, as well as experience in many other trades, as well as being a retired Army NCO. Currently I am working on my degree in Materials Science Engineering. I do have several goals I am hoping to accomplish/learn, one being a introduction to explosion welding. I hope to get better acquainted with you all as I make progress, and of course if there are any questions please feel free to ask.

-Tom
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum, Tom.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200