Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
JBeasty
    Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:18 am

Hi, new to welding. I'm retired, so I'm a late bloomer. Will be staring out with a cheapo 110 inverter stick welder. So far I've done a pad of beads using 1/16th E6013. Looks pretty crappy, but its a start. 3/32 E6011 is a no go - I don't think my little welder has the poop. That and I suck... Anyway, wish me luck!
Thanks, JBeasty
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Welcome to the forum! And good on ya for picking up a new hobby in retirement! All practice is good practice- if you decide to upgrade later the same theory and techniques apply.

Have you watched Jody's instructional stick videos? If you haven't yet, they're definitely worth it. The recurring theme is "Set amperage high enough so you don't stick the rod when you hold a tight arc. Then, hold a tight arc."

Just practice, for now, or do you have projects in mind?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum, JBeasty.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
JBeasty
    Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:18 am

Thanks for the welcome guys. Have not seen Jody's videos, I'll look for them. For now just practicing, might do some welding on an old mini bike I have. I've always made brackets and doohickeys by bolting them together. It would be nice to actually weld them together. Might possibly try my hand at some yard art (not worthy of calling it "metal sculpture").
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200