It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:13 pm Advanced search

Help for dim vision welder like a video camera

Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.

Help for dim vision welder like a video camera

Postby PropanePaul » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:19 pm

Howdy Folks, PropanePaul here. I'm a 52 year old welder & learned my first welding process SMAW/Stick) in 9th grade High-school general mechanics. Learned Tig & Mig in the mid '90's. About 5 years ago my vision started to deteriorate due to diabetes. For a while add on magnifiers (from Tractor Supply) got me by. Now all I can see is a bright fuzzy ball which obscures the consumable electrode or Tungsten, puddle & metal junctions. However Jody, I have been watching many of your welding videos to remember my skills & techniques & learn new tips. One day I realized I see your videos Clearly! including the junction of the metals, the puddle & the electrode. I thought maybe a welding camera setup & monitor might work for me! What do all you folks think & what's available commercially as well. Thanks for your knowledge & help. I love the videos Jody. Thanks for doing all of those!
PropanePaul

Re: Help for dim vision welder like a video camera

Postby Poland308 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:27 am

Welcome Paul. What kind of welding hood do you currently use?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby PropanePaul » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:34 pm

Hello Josh, I use a Sellstrom Phantom GTW adjustable automatic at work, and a HF automatic helmet at home. when activated they have a blue/grey tint (unless I dip the tungsten into the stainless puddle which turns the light thru the tint greenish! :oops!: ). I'm also using a 2.5 magnification flat lens just behind the front spatter shield. That used to help but a fuzzy ball is all I can see now. But all the weld tips videos are CLEAR on my computer monitor!
I have an old school Nod your head type helmet & could experiment with different type tint lenses. I have heard of a gold lens some say helps them (but they still see well.) Thanks for any suggestions
PropanePaul

Postby Poland308 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:55 pm

So your using the auto dark hood and adding a tinted lense ?

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby PropanePaul » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:38 pm

No sir, not a tinted lens. I use a "2.5 Magnification flat lens" just behind the clear front spatter shield lens.
PropanePaul

Postby PropanePaul » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:44 pm

Sorry,Let me clarify: On the outside of the helmet is the clear spatter shield, then the 2.5 magnification lens, then the Auto-darkening electronic lens, then a clear spatter shield closest to my face.
PropanePaul

Postby Poland308 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:37 pm

What shade do you have the lense set for?

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby PropanePaul » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:08 am

I have experimented with all brightness settings (shades 9 thru 12) on both hoods, over & over to no avail. I have also experimented with prescription glasses, mid range computer prescription glasses, 3 power reading glasses, stacking the prescription glasses &/or the computer glasses with the reading glasses over & over & it does not help! I still see a halo fuzz ball at the arc & puddle. I do not believe I can get any more out of my current hood & lens setup.
My first post was inquiring about what kind of camera setup is being used & with what kind of shaded lens is being used to produce the videos for Welding Tips & Tricks. I can see the videos on my computer monitor in detail & wonder if I can duplicate that in order to see my welds again.
I have seen an advertized camera setup for welders that replaces a mirror for a limited access space & is connected to a virtual reality video goggle set that the welder wears. Does anyone have any experience with that? Thanks, PropanePaul
PropanePaul

Return to Member Introductions