Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Don't think it's a secret :)

Question has come up before and AFAIK Jody in the past didnt' really use any fancy video gear at all. I think he just uses/used a fairly plain camera with a non-auto darkening shield (eg. pipeliner lense) in front of it.

Alhough I can imagine that it may take him a lot of takes/shots to get the polished and beautiful results we see in his videos. :lol:

In your case I'd start with someting simple like a GoPro clone and experiment with some lenses to get an zimage that's 'zoomed in' enough and then try some different shades/type of shields. Probably need to lock stuff like white balance down to stop the camera from trying to adjust to the hugely different light levels.

Just to get a feel for things and see what might work in your situation. You'd likely also need to construct some sort of viewing 'box' around a monitor unless you want to go fancy and expensive with VR/AR headset gear ;)

That way you could have your work piece on a table with a camera pointing towards it and look straight ahead on the monitor to see what your hands/puddle are doing. May take a little getting used to, but after a while your brain starts to connect-the-dots.. Lots of people in the world do similar things with microscopes and displays instead of viewfinders..

Actually... Might be an idea to see if you can perhaps salvage a not too high magnification microscope of this style from Ebay/Craigsist/etc. as a base to start working on..No need to invent the wheel again and again..

Bye, Arno.
PropanePaul
    Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:29 pm

Arno, Thanks for the input on the G-Pro clone camera & various shields to try. I'll give this some careful study, borrow some equipment & find out what I can do.
Sorry for the long delay before my replay but I was concentrating on being with my dear Mom thru her last breath in ICU. She is not suffering any more! I was blessed to have her live for almost 94 years! R.I.P. Mom, She was awesome. PropanePaul