Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
terrycook
    Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:07 pm

Hello all,

Just retired (sort of) from a 30+ year real estate development career and returning to my first interest of sculpture from my college days. I always wanted to weld metal art but figured I'd be dead before I could support a family as a struggling artist. So, now my chance to reconnect with an earlier passion.

I'm loving the learning part...but sometimes frustrated with stupid mistakes like burning through metal and not understanding settings on my Lincoln 140 HD MIG welder. From what I've watched in videos, I think TIG looks fun. Anyone have any advice on even starting down that path and if so what machines are recommended?

I appreciate everyone's advice and look forward to learning.

Terry
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum, Terry.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
terrycook

Thanks Mike--looking forward to advice and ideas.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Welcome, Terry! Which TIG machine... a lot depends on what you plan to do with it. Aluminum will require an AC machine, for instance. Your budget will also drive the answer. I've heard the AHP AlphaTIG 200 is a full featured AC DC machine for a good price. Haven't used one, myself, so i can't speak with any knowledge. If i had to replace my machine i'd consider that one, FWIW. Let us know how it goes!
Dave
aka "RTFM"
terrycook

Thanks Dave. I checked it out and it's within budget. So is the Everlast Welding PowerI-TIG 200T TIG which I've heard of. Do you know anyone using either? Jody at Welding Tips and Tricks has mentioned it in several videos as a very reliable welder. I believe uses it himself as well. I just don't want to get something that you have to send to China for parts. Thoughts?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Everything has parts from China. Just buy the best you can afford. I almost bought the AHP myself. Only thing that kept me from it was the shipping time, when I wanted to order it was on back order. They look real solid.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

terrycook wrote:So is the Everlast Welding PowerI-TIG 200T TIG which I've heard of. Do you know anyone using either? Jody at Welding Tips and Tricks has mentioned it in several videos as a very reliable welder. I believe uses it himself as well. I just don't want to get something that you have to send to China for parts. Thoughts?
I have an Everlast TIG and used to hang out a lot on the Everlast forum. That 200 DX (now 200 DV, for dual voltage) was a favorite among users. If that's on your list, you may be able to game the system a bit by buying from Home Depot and using the "free ship to store" function to save a few bucks. Also, these machines are tested at the factory so dead-on-arrival machines are rare, but sudden death after a few hours of operation can occur. I've heard if you buy from Home Deep you can return for an exchange much easier.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
terrycook

Good idea Artie--HD is easier to access than China. Sorry for the late response--was out of town for a week. Merry Christmas all.