Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
brims
    Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:44 pm

I've been watching Jody's videos for several years now, I came across them when I decided I wanted to learn how to use the MIG and stick welders at work. I had watched videos from several content providers, but Jody's were the best I found.

I have a vehicle restoration coming up, soon I hope, in which I'll need to replace pieces of rusted out panels, or where someone previously put a whole in the firewall, etc. In my search for which process to use, I read more and more about TIG having welds that are easy to grind flat and easy to work with body work tools. So I'm pretty much set on purchasing a TIG machine and learning how to TIG weld. Like I said, I have some experience with stick and MIG, I've used an older Millermatic 212, a Maxstar 150S, and at home I've got a POS HF 70 amp AC stick welder which I bought for 1 small job I had, I needed a welder right then and there. I'm able to sort of weld with the HF unit, it's got a high/low switch 70/55 amps, so it's a real treat to work with.

I wanted to join here so I could ask questions when I need to and further my knowledge.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum, Brims.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
brims

I've been reading everything I can about learning to TIG weld but haven't seen this idea proposed, it's possible I'm just not searching the right terms. Anyways, when I get a welder, since there are so many different actions to be performed would it be easier to do something like getting a torch switch and setting the machine to 4t and try out just melting a plate of steel in a stringer like pattern, then try it with filler once comfortable, then adding a pedal? Or am I just complicating the learning process more?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

That is an excellent way to start. It allows you to focus on just a few variables at a time.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
brims

I purchased the cheapest 1 pound of ER70S-2 1/16" filler rod I could find so I can practice the different feeding techniques and attempt to be ambidextrious with feeding as well.

I thought a little more about the step by step approach I'm going to be taking towards learning to TIG and instead of putting a switch on the TIG torch itself, I think I'll just hold it in my left hand and leave my right hand free to concentrate on holding the torch steady.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

A good trick to replacing rusted panels is to use Silicon Bronze filler wire instead of ER70xx. SilBr melts at a much lower temperature, you can TIG with (or MIG) and you’ll experience less panel warpage. It’s plenty strong for a rusty panel, and the method is the same as TIG or MIG for welding. (You’re actually brazing, not welding). Grinds flat, takes body filler and paint just like metal too.
brims

With silicon bronze, would the edges of the 2 panels need to be bent over to create a bevel on the butt joint so the filler would have something to hold onto or would enough flow through to the other side to keep it together? Besides the similar process of soldering, I have no experience brazing. A quick search shows the difference is essentially metling temperature of the filler metal, I've soldered wires and sweat copper pipe together. I'm more than happy to learn anything that will give me the best body repairs I can manage.