Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
    Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

Hi! I'm new here (registered, that is, I've lurked a bit). I have finally retired and am getting serious about getting 'good and better' at TIG welding. About 4 years ago I bought a 'Thermal-arc' 185 package through the company I worked for at the time, everything but an argon bottle. I had (still have) a 'Miller' Thunderbolt buzz box I got in about 1970 plus a VERY SMALL Victor oxy-acet torch setup acquired about the same time. I basically learned to weld on my own, A few questions here & there, not fast and not the prettiest.

Anyway, with TIG, I do a decent job on mild steel, however, on SS, alum, and copper, strong enough joints, but half the time ugly as home-made sin.

My objective is to make the welds consistantly decent looking (I know- practice! practice! practice!).

This isnt for a new career welding, I just like to be able to most things for myself.

The Thermalarc is the only tig welder Ive ever used, and I am completely satisfied with it, however, I rarely see people discuss them. Is there something Im missing? (ignorance = bliss)
The only issue with it is 'I' have trouble striking an arc with stick welding, It was a lot easier starting on the thunderbolt, but now I rarely stick weld anyway. (I havent gas welded anything in at least 3 years)

Im starting to ramble Glad to be here - Cornmuse

Look! a hole in the space-time continuum!
rickbreeezy
    Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:33 pm

Welcome to the forum :mrgreen:

-Rick