Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
rjhoward32006
    Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:58 pm

Some fellow co-workers from Delta told me about the website. Just a hobby welder, I do a lot of offroad fabrication on
full tube chassis and similar things automotive.

Because of some unfortunate events I'm looking for a new welder, and some advice. I will try searching some for the answers before I post up.
rjhoward32006
    Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:58 pm

I’m having a hard time trying to decide id i want a multiprocess unit or just stick to mig and buy a ac/dc tig welder with stick option later. As of now i cannot afford a multiprocess unto that has both a/c and d/c.

I’ve tig welded very little so i’m sure even a multi d/c machine tig welding mild steel would help me in the future for aluminum.

Never used a spool gun though, how do they weld? I would only be using it to weld body panels, dash panels, transmission tunnels and such. Which are non-structural units.

I will mainly use mig and every once in a while stick weld some cast with nickle rod.

Been doing alot of research on everlast and eastwood but they both have mixed reviews. The everlast seems to have better duty cyles than most even the big name brands and they have the 5 year warranty.
I’ve used some cheaper lincoln and miller machines and some nicer units and do not really care for the gun and nozzle set-up on the lincoln.

What do you pro’s have to say
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Welcome to the forum!

If your interested in a MIG and a spool gun, you might want to take that same money and buy a TIG machine. TIG is slower, but can weld most anything. For production, MIG is hard to beat. I wish I had started out learning TIG; it is so precise, can weld the thinest metals and a variety of metals too. The learn curve is a bit higher though. Also, with TIG machines, you can stick weld too.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Esab has just announced a multiprocess AC/DC box, not yet available. A bit pricey at $3k, but at that price you get a LOT of machine for the money.
https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/ ... ess-welder

Almost any TIG box will do Stick. But not all TIG boxes will do HF start, which is a requirement for AC. Spool guns do a fine job for AC, but you are usually limited to 0.030 wire in 1# spools. Good for short production, and thin sheet metal work. For offload stuff, MIG is a great solution as you can move quickly and get plenty of weld strength with the correct settings. But you really need to KNOW the settings and prove them with destructive testing for safety reasons ;)

I have a multi-process Miller that I really like. Doesn't do AC TIG, but I have a dedicated TIG box for that. Does MIG, Spool, DC TIG and Stick and works like a dream on those processes.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200