Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
MrHotShoe
    Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:32 pm

Here is the class I was looking at: http://knightschoolofwelding.com/traini ... ms/2248452
The description talks about a virtual welding simulator. I contacted them with some questions and they didn't answer the question of how much time we would be spending welding. I also wouldn't trust any salesman's job placement numbers. I think I'll see how far I can progress in the next month or two and sign up if I'm struggling.

Thanks everyone for replying.
aland
    Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

Why not enroll in a community college welding class first?

Why spend the money when they will most likely teach you how to get started, and you can look at other stuff later.

It is something you need to figure out for yourself, but I would exhaust local community colleges before vocational training, it should be cheaper. Both have their pros and cons, IMO.

Alan
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

I looked at the Knight website, and a couple things do and don't jump out. First, they're an AWS accredited test facility, and if their syllabus and course fees include AWS certification then it may be worth further consideration. What DOESN'T jump out is the cost of the courses: i poked around the website for a few minutes and didn't see anything like that. Contacting them about how many hours of welding is a good idea, but you'd pretty much need to talk to an instructor or at least someone familiar enough to answer that question: the person covering phones while the knowledgeable people are out at lunch won't be able to answer.

The community college idea is a good one, worth pursuing. You say you'll go in a month "if you're struggling" but honestly, how will you know if you're struggling or not? It's possible to lay down a bead that looks OK visually but has almost no fusion. Classroom instruction will also teach good shop habits and industry best practices.
Dave
aka "RTFM"