Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
Houle427
    Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:48 pm

Hey all!
New to the forum. Decided to hop on here after hearing about it on the tips and tricks podcast.

So, I'm currently in my second (and final) semester of welding school in Minnesota and will be looking for work in the Denver area. I have no "on the job" experience in welding but I have some sheet metal and hydraulics background. Any advice on what to look for in a first welding job?

Thanks for your time,
Alex
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Three things I tell my kids about working: Show up, Shut up, and Keep up. Any decent employer will give you a chance if you present yourself well, show up every day to learn and work hard. Show everyone respect at work, no matter if you think you know better. And pay attention to what you're told, learn from those who have more experience, and work your butt off. These qualities matter more to an employer than experience: Attitude and aptitude. You can be taught, but YOU have to learn it.

You will make mistakes, but LEARN from those and don't repeat them. Everyone makes mistakes, so don't hide from them, don't cover up about them, own them. Honesty and effort will always be rewarded with additional education and opportunity. But NEVER take a shortcut where safety is concerned. Ever. That will get you fired pronto!

The best life/work lesson I can impart to you is: Work and Life will suck at times. Embrace that. Realize that the "suck" will only last a short time. Do it, get though it, and learn to ignore. It makes every thing else seem simple once you stop whining about being uncomfortable, doing something unpleasant, or doing stuff you don't like. Love the Suck, and sh!t gets easy.

You are obviously a responsible young man, so don't let ego or greed get in your way. Work your butt off, and you will be very successful no matter the job, employer, or position. And congratulations to you on your career path!
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Don’t expect too much. It’s a job just like all the rest. There will be people there you like and some you don’t. When you get hired on your agreeing to work for whatever wage you said you would. The probability that you will score your dream job on the first try is slim. But you might be able to make that job into a good one with the right attitude.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum, Alex.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

cj737 wrote:Three things I tell my kids about working: Show up, Shut up, and Keep up. Any decent employer will give you a chance if you present yourself well, show up every day to learn and work hard. Show everyone respect at work, no matter if you think you know better. And pay attention to what you're told, learn from those who have more experience, and work your butt off. These qualities matter more to an employer than experience: Attitude and aptitude. You can be taught, but YOU have to learn it.

You will make mistakes, but LEARN from those and don't repeat them. Everyone makes mistakes, so don't hide from them, don't cover up about them, own them. Honesty and effort will always be rewarded with additional education and opportunity. But NEVER take a shortcut where safety is concerned. Ever. That will get you fired pronto!

The best life/work lesson I can impart to you is: Work and Life will suck at times. Embrace that. Realize that the "suck" will only last a short time. Do it, get though it, and learn to ignore. It makes every thing else seem simple once you stop whining about being uncomfortable, doing something unpleasant, or doing stuff you don't like. Love the Suck, and sh!t gets easy.

You are obviously a responsible young man, so don't let ego or greed get in your way. Work your butt off, and you will be very successful no matter the job, employer, or position. And congratulations to you on your career path!
Can we make this a sticky? This text should be required reading for anyone in the job market.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Houle427
    Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:48 pm

cj737 wrote:Three things I tell my kids about working: Show up, Shut up, and Keep up. Any decent employer will give you a chance if you present yourself well, show up every day to learn and work hard. Show everyone respect at work, no matter if you think you know better. And pay attention to what you're told, learn from those who have more experience, and work your butt off. These qualities matter more to an employer than experience: Attitude and aptitude. You can be taught, but YOU have to learn it.

I printed this off and put in my tool box as a reminder. My boss/dad suggested I make it into a flyer and hand it out at colleges :lol: :lol: "millennials I tell ya..."

Thanks everyone for the responses!