Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
Robertp1984
    Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:32 pm

I Just signed up to the forum and thought I'd say hello and ask a question.
I currently use a 70amp flux core welder(lol,crap I know) and thinking about upgrading to a Miller 215. My question is other than a dedicated 220v outlet and generater is there another way to power this welder? Thanks in advance
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Welcome! The Miller 215 is dual voltage, meaning it runs on both 110v and 220v. On 110 these machines perform best on a 20 amp circuit, though it will get by on a 15 amp circuit.

If you have a 220v circuit for the clothes dryer at the house, that 30 amp circuit will run the welder nicely. I made an extension cord to bring the 220 out a window to my garage for welding, for instance, so if your place is laid out right you might have some options.

The 215 is a nice looking machine. What kind of projects do you have in mind?
Last edited by Artie F. Emm on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Robertp1984

So the outlet that my dryer plugs into is a 30amp? I'm a noob when it comes to electrical. How did you make an extension cord that works? Would a power inverter work? Thanks bud
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Yes, clothes dryer circuits are typically 30 amp. You probably have a dedicated circuit for the dryer, so the circuit breaker will be labeled with its capacity.

My welder came with a NEMA 6-50 plug, so i bought a 6-50 receptacle, red / black / green cable, and a dryer plug, then connected it all together. A junction box houses the connection between the dryer plug and the cable.

Dryer connections can be 3-wire or 4-wire, though, so you'd need to buy parts to fit your situation.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Robertp1984

Great info man, I'm gonna do this when I get the welder. If I make a 50-75' cord, which gage should I use 8 or 10? I just saw your question above, I'm making some fitness equipment(power rack, belt squat, bench etc)
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Easiest way to find out is check with an electrician. They can look in the code book for the correct chart, and if you make sure they know it’s for a welder this changes the calculations some. Just because the welder has a 50 amp plug doesn’t mean the cord has to be rated for 50 amps unless the welder requires a minimum 50 amp breaker. These calculations may mean you can down size the cord, possibly saving money on a cord that long. Less than 50 ft long it won’t make much difference but 75-100ft it could be a big deal.
I have more questions than answers

Josh