Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
FrozenTundra
    Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:13 am

Hello Everybody,

As I've put in my signature, I'm an Industrial Maintenance Tech and Welding student at a local Technical College. We study things like machine tool, hydraulics and fluid power, pumps, bearings, electrical systems/motors, shaft and coupling alignment, PLCs, conveyors, fabrication, and of course--welding (SMAW, GMAW, and GTAW).

I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoy the welding portion of the course! However, my two year program's particular welding curriculum is somewhat abbreviated compared to the school's single year dedicated welding program. We only spend one day per week in the proper welding shop, which makes it a little hard to get on a roll and build skill quickly.

Luckily for me, in the last two semesters the welding instructors have taken me to raise (not unlike a stray dog) and given me free run of their facilities. I can come and go as I please (usually an extra 2-5 hours per day), and have unlimited access to the equipment, coupon material, and instruction.

The phrase "If you hang around the barbershop long enough, eventually you're going to wind up with a haircut" comes to mind. :D

Currently I'm in my last semester, just two months before graduation, and working hard on the GTAW portion of the welding curriculum. Employment schedule permitting (I'm looking now), I've decided to take the full-scale welding program next year. I've already got all the General Ed classes completed, and the school has graciously offered to wave the fees for SMAW I and II, GTAW I, and GMAW I, which I have already completed, while still having me re-attend the classes. This would combine to make the program closer to half- price. I really hope I can manage it.

I look forward to all the experience, knowledge, and advice that this forum offers. I think it may save me from having to make certain trial-and-error mistakes -- the kind that can be avoided by some friendly advice from people who've already "been there and done that".
I'm a Technical College student, studying Industrial Maintenance Tech and Welding.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Sounds like the hard work has paid off. The instructors probably put In a good word to get a deal like that. Taking advantage of an opportunity like that even if it comes at some financial burden will no doubt make you a better welder.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Welcome!
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Welcome aboard mate! What area you from?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Sounds like you're on the right track :D

Welcome from Bemidji MN
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
FrozenTundra

Farmwelding wrote:Welcome aboard mate! What area you from?
I'm up on the South shore of Lake Superior in rural WI. Not too far from the Twin Ports. So not too far from MN Dave either, I guess.

How about yourself?
I'm a Technical College student, studying Industrial Maintenance Tech and Welding.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

FrozenTundra wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:Welcome aboard mate! What area you from?
I'm up on the South shore of Lake Superior in rural WI. Not too far from the Twin Ports. So not too far from MN Dave either, I guess.

How about yourself?
Complete other side of the state near Beloit. That program sounds like the same as at my tech school thoigh. Maintenance guys come in Friday’s and the class set up is similar.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Metal Manipulator
    Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:47 am

A warm welcome to you. My son, daughter in law and two week old grandson live in Superior so I get up there often and hopefully more often now that I am a first time grandpa. Beautiful country up there but winters last too long.
FrozenTundra

Metal Manipulator wrote:A warm welcome to you. My son, daughter in law and two week old grandson live in Superior so I get up there often and hopefully more often now that I am a first time grandpa. Beautiful country up there but winters last too long.
Congratulations Grandpa!

We are currently in Second-Winter here. Between First-Winter and Second-Winter we get close to 6 months of freezing weather. We may as well be Canadians, eh? Just had a blizzard this morning. :(
Metal Manipulator
    Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:47 am

Thank you, I had seen where you were suppose to get dumped on. We were suppose to get 5 inches here but it missed us and went north. Planing on being up there the end of April, I volunteer the weekend to help get the Meteor ready for the tourist season.
Do you go to Indianhead tech school? Stay warm.