Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
Nations
    Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:13 pm

Franz© wrote:Doug, hunt up a firebrick. A real one from an industrial boiler or furnace, not the crappy variety fireplaces and chimneys are lined with.
Rest assured a large part of your current problem is the Bernzomatic. Most of the rest is just not knowing how to set the job up to prevent problems.

Bus I can identify with, spent most of 3 years living in a Mod 9 MCI that was converted to my dwelling when I wasn't here. Did you know BUS stands for Big Ugly Sumbeach?
Since we're talking about buses and coaches, be aware there are some road tunnels in this country that will not appreciate you rolling through with compressed gas. Oddly they have no issue with camping trailers with 40 pounds of propane on the trailer, but they will attack and kill for a bottle of Acetylene.
HA! B.U.S. is right! Take a look at this paint job. We got pinched for time and I said to my wife, "Make it Camo!!" Then I gave her a bunch of rattle cans!

The acetylene tank is what I am most concerned about. I would really like to make the other work. I have been using a handful of fire bricks. Unfortunately they were the ones you said "not to use".

So, I will check that out tomorrow.

My final thought tonight is
1. Smith Tiny Torch with disposable canister Regulators.
2. Flash arrestor.
3. Good firebrick (based on your idea)
4. Thinner brazing rods and buy the correct flux (no clue)

Picture attached. We took the kids fishing this summer from WI, ND, MT, WA, BC, YK and finally Alaska. This pic for was in MT. We were able to bid for this online and got it for pennies. Still has the same tires. Gutted it and you would be surprised how much room we have. The issue is the Height inside which I'm sure you know with the Mod 9 MCI. We spent about 3 years in a big Travel Van pulling a camper. It was difficult to never be able to stand in the van. But wow, your bus is HUGE compared to what I am talking about!! Alright. Have a good night or a good Monday morning!
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_9c6.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_9c6.jpeg (66.75 KiB) Viewed 493 times
Franz©
    Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:02 pm

Nice paint job, especially where you're located.

Coaches with 8 tires on the ground are taller, believe me you look for tree limbs and avoid them rather than repair AC blisters. Coaches also have a lot of cargo space in the cellar. Weighed my tools once for the hell of it, 7,000 pounds +.
Beat hell out of motels, and I could pretty much sleep when I was tired.

Noticed something interesting about Walmart. Since I didn't buy when I looked at torches on their site I'm now getting emails for the same products at lower prices. This will be interesting to watch unfold.
Franz©
    Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:02 pm

OK, the test.
O/A Genuine Smith Aircrafter torch, medium tip. Soft flame.

Round material is rod stubs from the bottom of a rod can where all good stubs are supposed to go, coating knocked off, light hit on grinding wheel. Sheet metal is scrap .037 mild steel that was galvanized before a light hit on the bench grinder.

Total elapsed time for test = 22 minutes.

Fillers tested
.035 E 70 S6 solid MIG wire
1/16 brass rod - NOT coated - light dip in Borax flux
3/32 Everdur (Sil Bronz) with slight dip in Borax

Sheet metal sitting on top of firebrick
Same with rods

Steel is a walk in the park. .045 gap between components is easier than contact.

Everdur is second easiest presuming you've run the material before and know the tricks.

Brass ia a pain in the ass. Works best if the components are buttered first.

No change in torch settings for different materials.

Post weld - hand wire brush only.
Attachments
04-23-18 Test weld.jpg
04-23-18 Test weld.jpg (25.13 KiB) Viewed 459 times