Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
Born2wrench
    Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:40 pm

I’m Shawn. My dad put a Victor Journeyman torch in my hands at the age of four. I have spent the majority of my life turning wrenches. Started working at 15. Ten years of heavy diesel. I still get a sense of satisfaction from fixing things, but I am completely burned out from being a mechanic.

A few years ago I picked up a Smith Airliner from a guy on Craigslist. I picked up a light weight set of hoses from Tin Man. Figured it would be a good rig to really build up the skills with before moving on to TIG. Later I picked up a ESAB 161LTS. For being no bigger than the old mans lunch box was it’s a beast, and it runs 6010! I recently picked up a a Miller Econo Twin HF. I’ve gotten a little bit of practice with aluminum on it by chopping down a LS truck oilpan for clearance in my 84 Corvette. I can already hear some guys giving me grief over not just getting a rig with a foot pedal. I can weld razor blades together with the ESAB. I’ll post pictures when I get a chance.

I’m here to share and to learn. Hopefully someone is here in Texas and has some suggestions on getting into welding for a career. I’m a student at TCC I started with the with the intent to pursue mechanical engineering. Probably should have done college straight after high school. Thinking pretty serious about doing the welding program at TCC but I am taking the summer off. I’m willing to put some effort into practicing for a certification so I might be able to make some decent money without going to turning wrenches. Thanks in advance.