Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
sluongo32
    Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:31 am

Hi, I’m new to the forum. I have been interested in welding for years. I used to have a Lincoln mig welder, I don’t even remember what model it was. I would have loved to have passed it onto my oldest son who is going to start welding school at the beginning of the new year, but unfortunately I sold it. I want to buy him a welder that he will be able to practice with. I Saw the syllabus for the class he will be taking. If I remember correctly he will be learning stick, mig, and tig. My question to anyone out there is what would be a good welder for someone just starting out? Are multiprocessing machines worth it for a newbie? If he is going to eventually be learning the 3 types I’ve mentioned above would it be it investing in one? If so can anyone recommend a make or model? Unfortunately I’m not loaded with cash so it would have to be a reasonabley priced machine. I don’t want it to be a cheap piece of crap either. I want something that will last him for years and years. Any advice or direction someone could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Welcome to the forums!

Since your son is starting school and since this is a machine to practice on, I'd suggest an AC/DC stick welder, such as a Lincoln "Tombstone" or Miller Thunderbolt. You can find them for sale used, generally at a good price, and they're generally so simple they are bullet proof, mechanically, although they do require periodic maintenance.

Stick welding (sometimes called arc welding) is a robust process that some people overlook or classify as "obsolete". In fact it is a great way to learn welding fundamentals, such as polarity and puddle control, and structural and pipe welders still use stick.

The machines mentioned come in an AC only version but i'd recommend the AC/DC version because they allow the use of all the common types of electrodes. The AC/DC machines can be rigged to TIG weld, too. The downside to these machines is they require 220v input power, which limits portability and may be a showstopper unless you have 220v outlets in your shop space. They can function adequately when plugged into a 220v 30a source such as a clothes dryer outlet.

So that covers 2 of the 3 processes your son will learn. I'd be willing to bet once your son (and you!) learn stick and TIG welding you and he will be able to transition to MIG welding easily enough- because the fundamentals you learn while stick welding will apply.
Last edited by Artie F. Emm on Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

The new multiprocess boxes work great, especially for light industrial or home shop scenarios. Miller, ESAB and Lincoln all make good boxes (MultiMatic 215, Rebel 215 and 210MP). These all Stick, TIG (DC, Lift arc start) or MIG/Flux Core. They all run 120 or 240v. Not much they can’t do except none of these models have HF start for TIG or TIG weld Aluminum. There are newer units from both Miller and Esab that do offer HF and Ally TIG, but they run about $3k, so it’s 2x the money.

I’ve got an older MM200 that is darn near invaluable at times and I’ve welded the dog sh!t out of it, and it keeps cranking like new. I’m a believer in it. If it ever gives up the ghost, or someone desperately wants to buy it from me, I’d replace it with their new AC capable box for kicks. It would be nice to have a really portable AC TIG and not have to carry my Dynasty around.
    Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:49 am

I remember sitting in class my first night at Tafe, Tafe is our premium trade college here in Australia, and our teacher telling us not to race out and buy a welder as they have them...did I listen, yes but no! I purchased a stick welder as soon as I could, me, I'm a believer in quality, not the so called best with one more whistle to claim fame with, something that folks recommend as a solid unit, mma, mig, tig ac/dc capable is the way I would go, check to see if your existing house/garage circuitry will handle the power it will draw before you buy other wise your just buying something to look at...good luck hope your Son becomes a proficient welder. Not being in the states and not knowing what types of machine you have there ? I can not advise you on your purchase.
Uni Mig 180 AC/DC tig
Oxy Acet
LPG
Older Newbie
weldguy420
    Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:30 pm

If you looking to learn or dabble in an array of welding functions and do not wanna break the bank consider a 3 in 1 model. These companies have made some great advancements over the years so even a cheaper unit can handle some decent size projects or jobs.

I currently run a ESAB Rebel EMP 215ic MIG/Stick/Tig Welding Machine I would say the quality is great for the price point, this is a 3 in 1 unit as well so you are never limited to what you can machine. A buddy of mine at work recently purchased this WeldPro a US made cheaper version of the 3 in 1 and its highly comparable. I was skeptical at first when he said it was under $700 bucks.

To be honest his set up is about a thousand bucks cheaper the warranty is the same as mine and I loved it when I tested the Tig function out. Look into this model here, I do not think you will be disappointed, cheers! 8-) 8-) https://weldinginsider.com/weldpro-mig200gdsv-review/ Specs are outlined below:

Weldpro 200 Amp Inverter Multi Process Welder with Dual Voltage 220V/110V Mig/Tig/Arc Stick 3 1 welder/welding machine