Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
Heybob
    Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:56 pm

Hi guys, I know nothing about welding, however I am going to try to weld. I have been given a workzone Gaseless mig welder and see how bad I can muck something up. I will be asking some really stupid questions for you to have a bit of a laugh at, and maybe help me out with. Heybob.
uncledoc
    Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:38 pm

Welcome . . . I am sure you will move to the MIG or Stick method in the future. I started on Stick, although very challenging, I am loving it . . . hope to see some of your projects!
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Heybob wrote:Hi guys, I know nothing about welding, however I am going to try to weld. I have been given a workzone Gaseless mig welder and see how bad I can muck something up. I will be asking some really stupid questions for you to have a bit of a laugh at, and maybe help me out with. Heybob.
The test of knowledge is not what you know, but knowing what you don’t know everything. ;) And since you’re a self-claimed “old guy” I’d wager you know a great deal about lots of stuff. So welding will be easy for you to learn.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Whatever you do, do NOT weld until you have the appropriate safety gear. In the last two months I've read two threads about people who might have permanent eye damage, all because they literally had no idea about anything welding but did it anyways. That's two threads too many, IMO.
Heybob

uncledoc wrote:Welcome . . . I am sure you will move to the MIG or Stick method in the future. I started on Stick, although very challenging, I am loving it . . . hope to see some of your projects!
Hi uncledoc, thanks for the welcome. Bought a "Workzone Titanium+ 100E gaseless Mig welder" only problem no manual, looking on line to see if I can find one. Heybob.
Heybob

cj737 wrote:
Heybob wrote:Hi guys, I know nothing about welding, however I am going to try to weld. I have been given a workzone Gaseless mig welder and see how bad I can muck something up. I will be asking some really stupid questions for you to have a bit of a laugh at, and maybe help me out with. Heybob.
The test of knowledge is not what you know, but knowing what you don’t know everything. ;) And since you’re a self-claimed “old guy” I’d wager you know a great deal about lots of stuff. So welding will be easy for you to learn.
Hi cj737, one thing for sure I`m not 21 anymore, however I hope I can pick welding up ok. I have wanted to try my hand for some time now, so I`m going to give it a real try. Heybob.
Heybob

Oscar wrote:Whatever you do, do NOT weld until you have the appropriate safety gear. In the last two months I've read two threads about people who might have permanent eye damage, all because they literally had no idea about anything welding but did it anyways. That's two threads too many, IMO.
Hi Oscar, thank you for your input.I agree 100% with you about the need for safety gear. I have a "Bosssafe Siren" automatic helmet ( No Manual ) and a "Workzone Titanium + 100E" gaseless Mig welder ( No Manual ). Because I do not have the manuals for the items, I will not be using them until I aquire both manuals. I have leather apron and long sleeve gloves. I am looking online for both of these manuals and hope to practice welding real soon. Heybob.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

Heybob wrote:
Oscar wrote:Whatever you do, do NOT weld until you have the appropriate safety gear. In the last two months I've read two threads about people who might have permanent eye damage, all because they literally had no idea about anything welding but did it anyways. That's two threads too many, IMO.
Hi Oscar, thank you for your input.I agree 100% with you about the need for safety gear. I have a "Bosssafe Siren" automatic helmet ( No Manual ) and a "Workzone Titanium + 100E" gaseless Mig welder ( No Manual ). Because I do not have the manuals for the items, I will not be using them until I aquire both manuals. I have leather apron and long sleeve gloves. I am looking online for both of these manuals and hope to practice welding real soon. Heybob.
hi
i assume your over the ditch in Oz.
bossweld/dynaweld should have manuals for the helmet. they are pretty straight forward. make sure you turn it off after welding and leave the helmet in the sunlight (ie don't store it in a box) as that will help it charge.

the welder...... probably better to just throw it in the bin now and save you some hassle. yeah they are that bad.
go get a basic stick welder. one of the 140 amp inverter bosswelds will do ok.
learn with stick, its not as hard as people make out it is, you learn welding a lot better.
once your proficient with that you will know what size mig you need and you can buy a decent mig that will actually work properly.
tweak it until it breaks