Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
JeffEilenberger
    Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:34 pm

Hey there all, I'm Jeff Eilenberger and I'm in Connecticut. Presently using a PowCon DC with a #9 air cooled torch and a foot pedal ... just starting out at 60 years old, never too late :D . Really glad to have the Tips and Tricks site, along with the forum; below is an examle of Stacking Boggers LOL
Attachments
Stacks of something
Stacks of something
Stacks.jpg (57.7 KiB) Viewed 650 times
Teamwork make the Dreamwork
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Do try to clean the mill scale completely off. It makes for a better weld and keeps your tungsten cleaner.

To start, it’s a great idea to fun with no filler and just get in the habit of moving the torch and watching the puddle form. Then introduce filler as next step in learning.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Hey Jeff where in CT are you? I am in Thomaston.

Those boogers don't look too terrible. You are making the same mistakes I made (and most noobies make). Your arc length is too long, your torch angle is probably too steep, and your probably leaning so hard on the table, that your hands really aren't free to move very comfortably. It just takes time and practice. The most important thing is to be comfortable when welding and don't lean on the table with your forearms. That will just lock up your ability to move your hands freely and in unison. don't tip over the torch so far, even though it is tempting to do so to be able to see. Move your head instead. And try to keep a very tight arc. If you are not dipping the tungsten once in a while as you are learning, you are either a natural welding savant or just not holding a tight enough arc. Watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNAAhwieNhU
Multimatic 255
JeffEilenberger
    Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:34 pm

Thanks for the feedback ...
I'm down in Ledyard in Southeastern CT
Teamwork make the Dreamwork
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Personally I strive for smooth not stacked on steel. The smoother the surface of a weld the less the stress points, that can cause cracks.
I have more questions than answers

Josh