Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
delgriffith
    Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:55 pm

New member, hobby welder for years now looking to make a second career of welding. Thinking to possibly get into underwater work after getting some experience.

Building a table to practice on: Image

Using 1/8" 7018 DCEP, Lincoln 350MP in the background.
    Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:55 pm

Nice start and looking build a table myself. Would like to see the final product when done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
delgriffith

Should make progress this weekend. I'm making adjustable footings that can be replaced with casters if needed and mounting a big vise on one end. Debating bolting the top rather than welding. Debating gussets.
So some little bits to work out still. Will try to update with finished table.
delgriffith

Here's the table, took an extra week but I think it was worth taking my time. Things learned during construction... I used magnetic squares on the legs but I also should have clamped them on both ends and planned a bit to reduce heat distortion potential. Also, should have ground the square stock cross member to have better fit-up. My fit-up wasn't great in a few places and it resulted in variable arc length and undercut. The table is still way stronger than I'll ever need so it's still a win in my book, and lessons learned.

Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

Nice vice!
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.
Bentwings
    Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:45 am

I wish I had a nice neat shop like these. I’m retired with vision issues so I’m more less out of business so I’ll have to limit to tips and suggestions. I’ve done a lot of about everything with tig. Many materials actually taught for a couple years as the shop guys couldn’t pass the rigorous tests required. I’ve done heavy parts tig and mig. In large production projects as well as micro production an one off things. Lots of hobby stuff and a number dragrace cars including dragsters and funny cars. I did streetrods including my own also.
I have a Lincoln square wave but have used some of the newer electronic and bells and whistles machines. More later on these and as they come up. I have to split this between my iPhone and iPad plus’s I have laptop and desk top. I wish I knew my way around these like I used to nut medical issues finally got to me. My spelling and some time as a result context gets messed up so please bear with me. Typing with double vision is extremely difficult even with various optical fixes. None work 100%.

So I’ll dig in on posts I can offer tips and guides . I’ll try and leave the drill instructor teaching out. You won’t have to do laps around the shop.for mistakes.LOL.

Byron.
77cruiser
    Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:27 am

Nice table!! Where at in Northern MN?
Bentwings
    Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:45 am

Hugo minn just north of white bear lake