Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
mr.sneezy
    Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:03 am

Hi All,

I'm a newbie hobbyist TIG operator, but had a MIG for about 25 years for doing home handyman stuff, and I have used that a lot.

I've also had an arc machine and Oxy/Acetylene set at one time or another, but gave both away years ago.

I'm completely self taught, but don't consider I know very much. I first picked up my dads arc welder at about age 12 (when he wasn't around), and learned to make welds to repair stuff by trial and error. Gas welding came easier, as I had learned to solder electronic projects even younger, and it seemed to me very similar (just much hotter!).

Joined the forum mainly to share experience with a budget TIG machine I bought very recently in Australia (AIG TIG 200P).
Looking forward to finding out if anyone on board in Australia has it. So far it's doing just fine on steel and aluminum practice pieces...

Cheers,
Martin
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

Hi Martin,
Hows your tig welder going? in skippyland myself. I am a professional hot metal glue jockey and even with a trade cert we are on some level self taught. trade school teaches how to do it, learning to do it well always comes from the tradie.
I got a 200 ac/dc last year and have been getting better at aluminium. as far as tig goes I usually go with my 180 amp dc inverter, 17 torch, and D size gas. but thought Id spoil myself and get ally melter.
Its nice to just watch liquid metal wave from side to side for a few hours, no fume no spatter no worries. ally melting still feels like Im training for an EVENT.....damn quick shuffle. :D
lincoln electric and miller have good resources for self teaching aswell, for tig I find I can use those resources for what to do and welding tips and tricks for how to do it well.
Good luck with it mate.
RobertRi

Aluminium is not that hard to work with. I have been welding aluminium for 2-3 years now, so I can say that I have some experience with it. Now welding with this model, no problems so far. I have used aig tig only once at my friend`s garage, nice thing too.
No matter what happens, always try to be consious.